[WG-InfoSharing] Preferences

Jim Pasquale jim at digi.me
Thu Jun 27 19:35:59 UTC 2019

Tom,

I would think about this as request response, one wants the other supplies in a two party relationship, so supplier is better than vendor

As for the rest I’ll reserve judgement.

On Jun 27, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Tom Jones <thomasclinganjones at gmail.com<mailto:thomasclinganjones at gmail.com>> wrote:

Something got off on the wrong foot here based on the response to mark's proposal.

Preferences from the user are valuable. There is a specific use of preferences where the user supplies consent, but that is not the majority of use cases.

As i recall Mary had "user submitted terms" which has been batted around and some of which as been taken up by the IEEE. But the real point is that user preference should be asserted at the beginning, sort-of a DNT (Do not track) on steroids. Consent to share information comes later, based on web site preferences and requirements. (These are distinguished in the California law but not afaict in the GDPR.) I really don't see that preferences must include situational decisions in the way that consent does. In fact if the user preference is DNT, they may waive that in a subsequent consent document specific to the vendor or the present transaction.  (I do agree that it would be nice to have a better word than vendor, but i don't know what it might be. Organization just doesn't cut it.)

Peace ..tom