[WG-InfoSharing] Interested to be considered for an Advisory Board position on an EU 2020 grnat fund project?

James Hazard james.g.hazard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 05:04:28 UTC 2018

Dear Colin, and everyone,

Many thanks for your message and spreading the word.  Legal standards for data sharing can only be effective if they spread across the chain of custody, from consents to biological sample transfer agreements.  Technical standards and legal standards will contribute to one another, reciprocally and recursively.  The meeting summary by Bill Hoffman and Ryan Morhead of the World Economic Forum states the ambition well:

Establish an Open Repository of Data Sharing Agreements and Governance Tools

There is wide recognition for the community to focus on establishing on open and extensible repository of best-in-class governance tools.  Items discussed include data impact assessments, model terms, legal agreements, operational processes, and shared outcome measurements. Tools which can help demand-side actors navigate their unique and complex requirements in light of GDPR was identified as a priority as was the need to utilize accountability frameworks to govern the use of private sector data for the common good.  Proactively establishing a “break glass in case of emergency” distributed data escrow was also regarded as a top priority.

The legal standards proposition is:

Establish an open repository of existing data sharing agreements so that a “github of legal code” could be more efficiently accessed.  This resource would enable bottom up, open and context-specific data sharing agreements that could be extended over time

https://weforum.ent.box.com/s/hyp49alfzivj5dreuyuxdkmxigcwdb4n <https://weforum.ent.box.com/s/hyp49alfzivj5dreuyuxdkmxigcwdb4n>

I’m very eager to explore how we can bring together the legal and the technical across the chain of custody.

Cheers, Jim