[WG-InfoSharing] FYI: ISO: New project: User Friendly Online Notice and Consent

John Wunderlich john at wunderlich.ca
Fri Nov 21 06:47:02 CST 2014

I mainly lurk in the Canadian ISO working group so I can't claim to be deeply versed, but a couple of things worth noting about the ISO process:

1. It's long - it typically takes years to get to published status
	This means that there is time to socialize and establish the open notice model

2. It's multi-stakeholder - It defines the notion that a compromise is something that makes everyone equally unhappy. It's the minimum standard that all the participating countries can agree on.
	So like the ISO Privacy Framework (29100) doesn't supercede other standards that may apply in different regimes (Canada's PIPEDA or US HIPAA) the open notice can elaborate or extend.

3. It establishes a base.
	Once there is an ISO standard, it becomes more difficult to argue that there shouldn't be an open notice and consent receipt. The question becomes how, or which one, instead of whether there should be or nottt.

So I'll contribute to the Canadian committee, and hope that others in open notice and Kantara will reach out to their national committees for the same purpose. This does mean that we need to ensure we meet our goal of having working consent receipts in beta by early 2015, and finalized ASARP (as soon as reasonably possible). If all goes well that means we'll be working on open notice registry and infrastructure by mid year.

Fat fingered from a portable device...disregard errurs

John Wunderlich
Privacist