[WG-IDAssurance] Remote Public Identity Proofing and cross-border Evidence checks

Björn Sjöholm bear at europoint.se
Sun Dec 22 07:48:28 CST 2013

Hello,

I have a question and comment on 5.2.2.4 Remote Public Identity Proofing.

We are trying to apply the requirements (AL2_ID_RPV#020 Evidence checks,
specifically) on a scenario where the applicant is a in another country
or even on another continent. The requirement to inspect and analyse the
collected records against the issuing authorities/institutions or
similar databases becomes more or less impossible if the service wants
to support a lot of/all countries. Access to the database for a
Government issues ID in any/all countries is difficult task.

For a In-Person Public Identity Proofing, there is no requirement to
reference check the records for the ID. I realize that that scenario is
based on a stronger identification, but the requirement to reference the
records in the remote scenario still does not feel proportional.

Does anyone have any comment on this, or a alternative interpretation?

Regards,
Björn Sjöholm

--
Björn Sjöholm, M.Sc. <bear at europoint.se>
CISSP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, QSA (P2PE), PA-QSA