[WG-IDAssurance] FYI - Target finds recent data breach, advises customers to check card statements

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Thu Dec 19 10:32:31 CST 2013

"Company spokeswoman Molly Snyder said customers who shopped at Target's
U.S. stores during the should "keep an eye on their credit card accounts
for any potentially fraudlent activity.""

"We take this matter very seriously and are working with law enforcement
to bring those responsible to justice."

Please.  There will always be bad guys who take advantage of weaknesses
in the system.  If US merchants and banks truly took these kinds of
breaches "seriously" they would be moving more aggressively to replace
outdated magnetic stripe credit/debit cards, which contains unencrypted
information that can be easily stolen,  with chip and pin technology.
Instead of putting the onus on customers to monitor their accounts for
fraudulent activity, merchants and banks need to get in synch with the
rest of the world and move to chip and pin.    Even if consumers don't
ultimately pay for funds stolen from their accounts, we're all
subsidizing the criminals when this kind of thing is treated as part of
the "cost of doing business."