[WG-IDAssurance] The Kantara "why" and WG rechartering

Heather Flanagan heather at kantarainitiative.org
Tue Aug 20 17:07:18 CDT 2013

Hello Myisha, Rich,

During the recent Kantara Leadership Retreat, we focused on the question
of why Kantara exists (see
http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/2013-August/002348.html for a
high level summary out of that retreat).  The idea is that with a clear
"why", we can make sure the actions we take truly support the goals of
the Kantara Initiative.  The current working DRAFT of Kantara's "why"
statement is:

DRAFT: Kantara exists to define rules of engagement for operators of
online services, enabling high-value, privacy-preserving identity and
access.

In order to incorporate this concept in to the Innovation side of
Kantara, the work groups, we are initiating a Work Group recharter
effort.  This will help make sure that the Work Groups are on track with
solid deliverables and timelines that support the goal of the
organization.  Work Groups can expect to receive more organizational
support in terms of marketing to increase group participation and the
creation of industry-driving Kantara Recommendations.  For Work Groups
that do not recharter, their status will change to that of a Discussion
Group, which is considered a much more informal effort. (Please see the
Kantara Operating Procedures for a more detailed definition of Work
Group and Discussion Group:
http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/x/owVAAg .)

The link to your current charter can be found on your space in the
Kantara wiki.  The LC would like to have the updated charters in by
September 25.  The LC will discuss and review the charters over the
month of October.

Thank you for your participation within Kantara,

--
Heather Flanagan
Technical Program Coordinator
email: heather at kantarainitiative.org