[WG-HealthIDAssurance] Healthcare Initiatives Article

Peter Palmer ppalmer at medallies.com
Wed May 15 15:25:31 EDT 2013

Here is an article Joni and I put together for an IEEE publication.  We can discuss this on the call tomorrow.

http://ieee-elearning.org/outreach/mod/book/view.php?id=4085&chapterid=400

The updated version will have these initiatives as well:

*         The Electronic Submission of Medical Documentation program (esMD) is sponsored by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and run out of the Standards and Interoperability Framework (S&I Framework) of ONC.  Its goals include the electronic signing and transmission medical documents requested by Medicare and Medicaid contractors and submitted by providers in medical practices, hospitals, durable equipment providers, and so on.  All actors involved in esMD must obtain and maintain a non-repudiation digital identity used for signing of documents.

*         The Automate the Blue Button Initiative (ABBI) seeks to make patients' access to their own health information stored in providers' EHRs easier and ubiquitous, and is based on patient participation in Directed exchange, which requires patients to utilize X.509 digital certificates within the PKI architecture of the Direct Project, at specified levels of assurance of identity.  The ABBI is sponsored by the White House and administered through the S&I Framework under ONC.

--
Pete Palmer
Chief Security Officer, CISSP, CPHIMS

Stay in touch with the Hudson Valley- Sign up for The Connector!

Click here to sign up<https://www.elbowspace.com/servlets/cfd?xr4=&formts=2010-06-10%2007:44:46.381334>

This communication and any files or attachments transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or the entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by federal law.  If you have received this communication in error, please destroy it and notify the sender.