[KI-LC] Kantara Members Across the World (map)

Colin Wallis Kantara colin at kantarainitiative.org
Thu Oct 22 12:38:33 UTC 2020

Thanks Ken

The plan was to have no more personal info than currently shown on the
members web page except to extend to a country. The current members page
does not have email addresses... just a name and logo (if an organization).

Staff felt that moving in that direction really does introduce way more
privacy issues than simply a name in a country and very high level location
within the country.

Even this very basic map (not a much richer info filled Google map option)
makes it conceivably possible to identify a person with more attributes,
but only arguably no more so than would be the case if you took the name
and entered it into a search engine.

We felt it would be too great a burden on Staff to manage all the changes
of adding new members, removing non renewing members, working on opt out
requests etc in a timely way and thereby the potential for greater privacy
risk exposure, that adding more attributes to the map would create.

That is why the Notice is there in the interests of transparency. Maybe it
needs more wordsmithing but you get the idea..

I'm adding John Wunderlich specifically to see if he has a view..busy as he
is this week with IIW..