[KI-LC] Message Forwarded from Tom Sullivan

bella at kantarainitiative.org bella at kantarainitiative.org
Fri Oct 16 13:31:39 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I have been asked by Tom Sullivan to forward this message below to the Leadership Council.

Thanks,

Isabella

…………………………………………………………

The members of the HIAWG agreed/voted to support  (with no opposition) the following position:

The HIAWG supports the repeal of Section 510 in US Federal law, thus allowing the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to fund research around Digital Identities in Healthcare

We are asking the LC to support this position.  The US House of Representatives have passed this bill twice in the past 1-2 years but at this point there are no "champions" in the Senate. As far as we know there is only one Senator (Rand Paul) who has expressed opposition with others all silent.

There is growing significant support for this position in the Private sector.

Jim Kragh and I would be happy to attend the meeting where this is on the agenda. Please let us know the time/date and GTM invitation

Here is some background material -below - from CHIME to help understand this issue:

Cassie Leonard <CLeonard at chimecentral.org <mailto:CLeonard at chimecentral.org> >

Thu 10/15/2020 3:00 PM











*         Tom (Thomas) Sullivan

*         Mari Savickis <mari.savickis at chimecentral.org <mailto:mari.savickis at chimecentral.org> >

UPI letter to Approps 2020.pdf

535 KB

Hi Tom,

Thanks for allowing me to join today’s call. I wanted to follow up with some materials on the UPI issue if you would like to share with the group:

1.	Patient ID Now Coalition: patientidnow.org—free to join
2.	Section 510 language:

a.	“None of the funds made available in this Act may be used to promulgate or adopt any final standard under section 1173(b) of the Social Security Act providing for, or providing for the assignment of, a unique health identifier for an individual (except in an individual’s capacity as an employer or a health care provider), until legislation is enacted specifically approving the standard.”

3.	The House has passed the Foster-Kelly amendment twice before:

a.	FY20: H. Amdt. 286 to H.R. 2740 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.congress.gov/amendment/116th-congress/house-amendment/286?q=*7B*22search*22*3A*5B*22hr*2740*22*5D*7D&r=101&s=a__;JSUlJSUlKyUlJQ!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEedL-5OMc$>
b.	FY21: H. Amdt. 871 to H.R. 7617 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.congress.gov/amendment/116th-congress/house-amendment/871?s=6&r=1__;!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEeXZrhcKA$>

4.	Sen. Paul letter to the Appropriations Committee (attached)
5.	Document Responding to Concerns of Removing the Ban <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/patientidnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Removing-the-Appropriations-Ban-on-a-UPI**BResponding-to-Concerns.pdf__;4oCU!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEeXN3EcGJ$>

Please let me know if you need anything else! I will check in with the coalition and see if anyone can join the call on the 29th.

Cassie

Cassie Leonard

Director, Congressional Affairs

College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
20 F Street NW, Suite 700 | Washington, DC 20001
Connect myCHIME <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mychime.org/__;!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEeX_XB3qE$>  | Follow @CIOCHIME <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/CIOCHIME__;!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEea4DqjUX$>  | Learn chimecentral.org <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/chimecentral.org/__;!!ELD3qnnpiOo!5krt3gbF2tXQdiVdIIVcPSoHp40YnFjJ1V0KrKZ3lQadaM2rM0janwoEeV7COuNe$>

Tom

 Thomas E Sullivan, MD

Chief Strategic Officer

 DrFirst.com, Inc.

(978) 729-5075 (M)

tsullivan at drfirst.com <mailto:tsullivan at drfirst.com>

Notice of Confidentiality: The information included and/or attached in this electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or privileged information and is intended for the addressee. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of the information is prohibited. If you believe that you have received the message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.