[KI-LC] LC status update and agenda for 2018-11-21 call

Andrew Hughes andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 23:52:16 UTC 2018

Hi everyone - I've been meaning to write up this note for a while :) It's
some overall status updates and items we need to discuss before the end
of the year. Please skim through before Wednesday's call.

*>> LC Representatives to Kantara Board <<*
After several calls for volunteers with no response, I will take this on
myself. So, Ken Dagg and I are now the LC Directors sharing one vote at the
Kantara Board of Directors.

*>> Overall WG and DG progress <<*
# Things seem to be going well, where they are going :) The groups that
have work projects to get done are meeting and mostly getting them done.
# However, there are several groups that have gone inactive for one reason
or another & it's time to do a cleanup.
These are:
## *Blockchain and smart contracts DG* - report was published in 2017. No

## *Identities of Things DG* - Ingo's corporate has redirected his focus,
so he's not permitted to run this DG now. No other driving factors. *Move
to archive.*

## *Federation Interoperability WG* - published SAML profile in 2018 - low
activity levels right now but this is a normal pattern for the WG - when
something comes up, they start work. *No change in status*.

## *Healthcare ID Assurance WG* - has been suspended due to lack of driver
- but the Healthcare Committee from IDESG is starting to use HIAWG to do
work. *Update Charter and support.*

## *ID Ecosystem Framework WG *- challenges getting liftoff - see the other
item about this.

## *Identity Relationship Management WG* - stalled. We have been trying to
get other projects from outside Kantara to pick this up, but no action
yet. *Recommend
to archive*.

## *OTTO WG *- Last I heard from Mike about this is that the original
motivations for the work have disappeared. *Recommend to archive *(Mike to
inform LC).

*I'd like to have a discussion this week and instruct staff to make the
changes before 2018 is over.*

*>> NEW Groups <<*
# The LC ballot passed to approve the draft charter for a new DG on
"Identity Proofing and Verification Use Cases". Andrew will be announcing
first call to happen in a couple weeks. This has a short fuse - the Report
must be complete by end-January to make the deadline for ISO submission.

# The main work product that Kantara got from IDESG is the ID Ecosystem
Framework - a set of requirements, procedural documentation and a web-based
status registry for companies who went through the process. However, there
has been no interest expressed in continuing work on the framework
requirements or other framework documents. So, I don't want to proceed to
create an IDEF WG. We are looking for backers and leaders to continue the
work.
However, there is a small group the "Agile" group that is focused on
further development of the registry itself. They meet regularly and are
motivated to get things done. Expect to see their draft charter for ballot
soon, to start up a WG.

*>> Operating Procedures <<*
Thank you all for voting on the updated Operating Procedures document-
hopefully you were able to at least skim through for the juicy bits. The
All Member Ballot (AMB) goes out soon. A few notable things:
- the new version does not need an AMB for every change - there's a path
for LC to approve non-material changes
- there's a whole new section on publication processes and procedures -
including flow charts! but no Venn diagrams. There's some text now to
explain review periods and required steps.
- The text is now organized so that you don't have to read the entire thing
to figure out how to do something. Ken did a great job teasing apart the
old version for this. So, if you run a WG, that's the only section you need
to refer to for most things - take a look and let us know.

*>> Kantara presentations at conferences <<*
Colin sets up Kantara showcases at many conferences that he attends - these
are either 1 hour or 3 hours depending. Kantara Members are encouraged to
seek the spotlight and join in - we like to see Members getting out there
and telling the world how they get value from their membership.
I'm planning for a big splash for the consent and receipt work at EIC in
May and IDentiverse in June. You should be planning for those (and other)
events too.

*>> Plans for 2019 <<*
Adoption and Messaging.
Consent Receipts is getting good visibility and engagement, mainly because
of the demo we created and have been showing off wherever we can.
UMA is getting informal interop testing done by implementers - this could
turn into formalized full-matrix testing.
IAWG is seeking to get more schemes and more approved service providers.
More adoption of Kantara products & programs will be a core activity in
2019!
Also, the Board has started discussion about stronger messaging about
Kantara - what's our focus, what are we known for, how do organizations
succeed by using Kantara?

*Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP

o  +1 650.209.7542
m +1 250.888.9474