[KI-LC] Any opinions? Markdown vs AsciiDoc ?

John Wunderlich john at wunderlich.ca
Mon Sep 12 19:03:11 CDT 2016


Thanks. I stand corrected.


> On Sep 12, 2016, at 20:01, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi John - I'm not debating anything- simply asking if anyone has experienced both formats and can share what they know. I'm not really looking for the great features of either (unless there is really a killer feature) - I'm looking for a compare/contrast.
> 
> I've been in / run complex multi-contributor document environments in past lives - so I'm aware of many of the trade offs. I just don't have experience with newer markup languages.
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 4:54 PM John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca <mailto:john at wunderlich.ca>> wrote:
> Andrew;
> 
> This runs into the risk of turning into a vi<->emacs level debate, so let me state up front that I’ll support whatever decision is made. I’ll point out the following as my final input:
> 
> Complex document authoring tools for complex documents will have a learning curve that not everyone will climb.
> People writing content (Subject Matter Experts) may have specific tools, techniques that they use. Might lead to better content development if content can be created in multiple formats.
> Does the complexity and structure arise in the construction of the document after content is created or is inherent in the content?
> Are you looking for a simple solution to a complex problem?
> JW
> 
> "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
> 
> 
>> On Sep 12, 2016, at 15:28, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com <mailto:andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> 
>> I'm testing the waters for a markup language that is rich enough to support structured documents and simple enough that anyone can use without training.
>> 
>> Converting from a less rich format to a more rich format isn't possible- because the conversion tool would have to invent missing detail.
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca <mailto:john at wunderlich.ca>> wrote:
>> Andrew;
>> 
>> Markdown/MultiMarkdown/Fountain and their ilk are for writing fairly simple documents. If you're looking for highly structured documents you are right, they may not be the right tool. That being said, way more people know/use/love/hate Markdown etc.
>> 
>> So my question is whether this is destined to be used by all Kantara supporters/writers/contributors or by a small group who do the actual final technical writing? I suspect that the answer is the latter and if that is the case, and if the structured documents are complicated (a la SGML or LaTeX then probably AsciiDoc or something like it make more sense).
>> 
>> Perhaps a Markdown to AsciiDoc conversion tool? (See this issue: https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.org/issues/462 <https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.org/issues/462>)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Sincerely,
>> John Wunderlich
>> @PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>
>> 
>> Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
>> eMail: john at wunderlich.ca <mailto:john at wunderlich.ca>
>> 
>> On 12 September 2016 at 14:03, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com <mailto:andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> How do you think it compares with asciidoc?
>> 
>> From my reading, markdown is not standardized - that's why there are flavours of markdown. They have minor variations in the markup coding.
>> 
>> The purpose I'm asking for is to write structured documents
>> 
>> andrew.
>> 
>> Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
>> Independent Consultant
>> In Turn Information Management Consulting
>> 
>> o  +1 650.209.7542 <tel:%2B1%20650.209.7542>
>> m +1 250.888.9474 <tel:%2B1%20250.888.9474>
>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com <mailto:AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com>
>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/ <http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/>
>> Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security
>> 
>> 
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM, John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca <mailto:john at wunderlich.ca>> wrote:
>> Markdown gets my vote for flexibility and availability of tools.
>> 
>> Markdown itself is standardised, just not by an SDO
>> 
>> Gruber's original https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ <https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/>
>> Fletcher Penny's MultiMarkdown: http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/ <http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/>
>> 
>> There are editors galore for Markdown, I use Sublime Text, which runs on Mac and Windoze, includes many syntax highlighters (including markdown and multimarkdown)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Sincerely,
>> John Wunderlich
>> @PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>
>> 
>> Call: +1 (647) 669-4749 <tel:%2B1%20%28647%29%20669-4749>
>> eMail: john at wunderlich.ca <mailto:john at wunderlich.ca>
>> 
>> On 12 September 2016 at 13:52, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com <mailto:andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Hi folks - does anyone have opinions on the merits of Markdown versus AsciiDoc?
>> 
>> From what i'm reading, markdown is more widely used, but it lacks a standard and is not extensible - so there are issues with tool compatibility between flavours.
>> 
>> AsciiDoc is less popular but supports the ability to extend to create new tags/labels and has good output format tools.
>> 
>> Also, if you want to follow along as I collect up opinions and reviews, take a look at
>> 
>> https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/Markup+language+notes+and+comparisons <https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/Markup+language+notes+and+comparisons>
>> 
>> 
>> thanks
>> andrew.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> thanks
>> andrew.
>> Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
>> Independent Consultant
>> In Turn Information Management Consulting
>> 
>> o  +1 650.209.7542 <tel:%2B1%20650.209.7542>
>> m +1 250.888.9474 <tel:%2B1%20250.888.9474>
>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com <mailto:AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com>
>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/ <http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/>
>> Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> LC mailing list
>> LC at kantarainitiative.org <mailto:LC at kantarainitiative.org>
>> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/lc <http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/lc>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>> --
>> Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
>> Independent Consultant
>> In Turn Information Management Consulting
>> 
>> o  +1 650.209.7542
>> m +1 250.888.9474
>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com <>
>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/ <>
>> Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
> --
> Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
> Independent Consultant
> In Turn Information Management Consulting
> 
> o  +1 650.209.7542
> m +1 250.888.9474
> 1249 Palmer Road,
> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com <>
> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/ <>
> Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security
> 


-- 

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended 
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. 
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. 
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the 
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not 
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender 
immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and 
delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient 
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any 
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly 
prohibited.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/attachments/20160912/c81d39e7/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 873 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail
URL: <http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/attachments/20160912/c81d39e7/attachment-0001.sig>


More information about the LC mailing list