[KI-LC] Any opinions? Markdown vs AsciiDoc ?

John Wunderlich john at wunderlich.ca
Mon Sep 12 14:22:58 CDT 2016

Andrew;

Markdown/MultiMarkdown/Fountain and their ilk are for writing fairly simple
documents. If you're looking for highly structured documents you are right,
they may not be the right tool. That being said, way more people
know/use/love/hate Markdown etc.

So my question is whether this is destined to be used by all Kantara
supporters/writers/contributors or by a small group who do the actual final
technical writing? I suspect that the answer is the latter and if that is
the case, and if the structured documents are complicated (a la SGML or
LaTeX then probably AsciiDoc or something like it make more sense).

Perhaps a Markdown to AsciiDoc conversion tool? (See this issue:
https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.org/issues/462)

Sincerely,
John Wunderlich
@PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>

Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
eMail: john at wunderlich.ca

On 12 September 2016 at 14:03, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> How do you think it compares with asciidoc?
>
> From my reading, markdown is not standardized - that's why there are
> flavours of markdown. They have minor variations in the markup coding.
>
> The purpose I'm asking for is to write structured documents
>
> andrew.
>
> *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
> Independent Consultant
>
> o  +1 650.209.7542
> m +1 250.888.9474
> 1249 Palmer Road,
> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com
> *Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security *
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM, John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Markdown gets my vote for flexibility and availability of tools.
>>
>> Markdown itself is standardised, just not by an SDO
>>
>> Gruber's original https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
>> Fletcher Penny's MultiMarkdown: http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/
>>
>> There are editors galore for Markdown, I use Sublime Text, which runs on
>> Mac and Windoze, includes many syntax highlighters (including markdown and
>> multimarkdown)
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> John Wunderlich
>> @PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>
>>
>> Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
>> eMail: john at wunderlich.ca
>>
>> On 12 September 2016 at 13:52, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks - does anyone have opinions on the merits of Markdown versus
>>> AsciiDoc?
>>>
>>> From what i'm reading, markdown is more widely used, but it lacks a
>>> standard and is not extensible - so there are issues with tool
>>> compatibility between flavours.
>>>
>>> AsciiDoc is less popular but supports the ability to extend to create
>>> new tags/labels and has good output format tools.
>>>
>>> Also, if you want to follow along as I collect up opinions and reviews,
>>> take a look at
>>>
>>> https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/Markup+l
>>> anguage+notes+and+comparisons
>>>

>>> thanks
>>> andrew.
>>>

>>> thanks
>>> andrew.
>>>
>>> *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
>>> Independent Consultant
>>> *In Turn Information Management Consulting*
>>>
>>> o  +1 650.209.7542
>>> m +1 250.888.9474
>>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com
>>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/
>>> *Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security *

>> addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the
>> system manager. This message contains confidential information and is
>> intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee
>> you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
> [...]

prohibited.