[KI-LC] Any opinions? Markdown vs AsciiDoc ?

Andrew Hughes andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:28:03 CDT 2016


I'm testing the waters for a markup language that is rich enough to support
structured documents and simple enough that anyone can use without
training.

Converting from a less rich format to a more rich format isn't possible-
because the conversion tool would have to invent missing detail.
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca> wrote:

> Andrew;
>
> Markdown/MultiMarkdown/Fountain and their ilk are for writing fairly
> simple documents. If you're looking for highly structured documents you are
> right, they may not be the right tool. That being said, way more people
> know/use/love/hate Markdown etc.
>
> So my question is whether this is destined to be used by all Kantara
> supporters/writers/contributors or by a small group who do the actual final
> technical writing? I suspect that the answer is the latter and if that is
> the case, and if the structured documents are complicated (a la SGML or
> LaTeX then probably AsciiDoc or something like it make more sense).
>
> Perhaps a Markdown to AsciiDoc conversion tool? (See this issue:
> https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.org/issues/462)
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
> John Wunderlich
> @PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>
>
> Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
> eMail: john at wunderlich.ca
>
> On 12 September 2016 at 14:03, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How do you think it compares with asciidoc?
>>
>> From my reading, markdown is not standardized - that's why there are
>> flavours of markdown. They have minor variations in the markup coding.
>>
>> The purpose I'm asking for is to write structured documents
>>
>> andrew.
>>
>> *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
>> Independent Consultant
>> *In Turn Information Management Consulting*
>>
>> o  +1 650.209.7542
>> m +1 250.888.9474
>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com
>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/
>> *Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security *
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM, John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Markdown gets my vote for flexibility and availability of tools.
>>>
>>> Markdown itself is standardised, just not by an SDO
>>>
>>> Gruber's original https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
>>> Fletcher Penny's MultiMarkdown: http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/
>>>
>>> There are editors galore for Markdown, I use Sublime Text, which runs on
>>> Mac and Windoze, includes many syntax highlighters (including markdown and
>>> multimarkdown)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> John Wunderlich
>>> @PrivacyCDN <https://twitter.com/PrivacyCDN>
>>>
>>> Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
>>> eMail: john at wunderlich.ca
>>>
>>> On 12 September 2016 at 13:52, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com
>>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi folks - does anyone have opinions on the merits of Markdown versus
>>>> AsciiDoc?
>>>>
>>>> From what i'm reading, markdown is more widely used, but it lacks a
>>>> standard and is not extensible - so there are issues with tool
>>>> compatibility between flavours.
>>>>
>>>> AsciiDoc is less popular but supports the ability to extend to create
>>>> new tags/labels and has good output format tools.
>>>>
>>>> Also, if you want to follow along as I collect up opinions and reviews,
>>>> take a look at
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/Markup+language+notes+and+comparisons
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>> andrew.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>> andrew.
>>>>
>>>> *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
>>>> Independent Consultant
>>>> *In Turn Information Management Consulting*
>>>>
>>>> o  +1 650.209.7542
>>>> m +1 250.888.9474
>>>> 1249 Palmer Road,
>>>> Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>>>> AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com
>>>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/
>>>> *Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security *
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> LC mailing list
>>>> LC at kantarainitiative.org
>>>> http://kantarainitiative.org/mailman/listinfo/lc
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
>>> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
>>> addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the
>>> system manager. This message contains confidential information and is
>>> intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee
>>> you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
>>> the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
>>> mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
>>> intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing
>>> or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
>>> strictly prohibited.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
> solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
> If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.
> This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
> individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
> disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and
> delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient
> you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any
> action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
> prohibited.
>
-- 

*Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
Independent Consultant
*In Turn Information Management Consulting*

o  +1 650.209.7542
m +1 250.888.9474
1249 Palmer Road,
Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com
ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/
*Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security *
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/attachments/20160912/3317b1cb/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the LC mailing list