[KI-LC] SC Magazine Feature

Ken Dagg kendaggtbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:04:14 CST 2016

Danny,

Another input for the article.

different to my identity as my bank sees it, which may be different again
to my identity as my employer sees it. How do we cope with multiple
attributes in ID management?"

Ken Dagg

==================

Identity Management thinking is beginning to recognize that who an
individual is (e.g., their identity) is dependent on the scenario in which
that individual needs to assert who they are. Who you are, and how you
represent yourself, in social situations, work situations and commercial
situations is probably different - but all are just different
representations or variations of who you are as an individual - different
personas. That is, a persona is what you tell someone about yourself in
order to interact with them.

For example, in order for you to be able to establish an account, and carry
out financial transactions, with a bank requires that the bank know certain
information (i.e., attributes) about you. Some of this information is
required in order for the bank to deal with you effectively while other
information is required to satisfy legal requirements. Your employer also
requires specific attributes about you in order to have you as an employee
(i.e., to pay you, to provide benefits, to provide work facilities). While
there may be some overlaps between the sets of attributes required to
satisfy these two relationships there are most likely differences. What is
emerging is that 1) the required attributes are defined by and specific to
the relationship and 2) there is no one representation that satisfies all
requirements.

As such, the relationship you want to establish identifies the required
attributes (i.e., your "persona") and manages them to accomplish the
purpose that the relationship exists to perform. As the consumer - the
Relying Party (RP) - of your persona (e.g., the bank) is at risk, they
authenticate and manage the set of attributes they require of you in order
to mitigate the risk of getting it wrong. That is, the RP manages the
identity of its clients to the degree they need to in order to operate. It
is essential that the RP undertake a risk assessment to identify the
consequences - financial and reputational - they will suffer if they
misidentify someone and then establish, at a cost they believe is
affordable, the mechanisms they believe will mitigate that risk.

The set of mechanisms the RP uses - the level of assurance they require -
to mitigate their risk depend on the consequences they will suffer if they
get it wrong (i.e., they misidentify you). These mechanisms can include
doing nothing, using internal checks, using Social Media sites, using
Government Agencies, or using companies that have established themselves as
Identity Providers (IdPs), Credential Service Providers (CSPs), or
Attribute Providers (APs).

Of importance to you as an individual, however, is knowing, and being able
to correct errors in, the information / attributes the RP maintains about
you as well as being assured that the RP respects your privacy.

--
Kenneth Dagg
Independent Consultant
kendaggtbs at gmail.com