[KI-LC] FW: Media query from SC Magazine - deadline 2/26/2016 17:30:00

Ken Dagg kendaggtbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 05:58:22 CST 2016

Colin,

I agree fully that the first two paragraphs address the scope of his
question regarding biometrics and privacy.

However, your comment, "sense of direction of travel for SC Magazine being
towards Data Protection" prompts me to include the rest of the material
regarding Privacy. In my opinion, a focus solely on data protection misses
the boat on respecting privacy and probably does it a disservice. As you
are aware, having the best data protection practices in the world while
using an individual's PII for unstated purposes or disclosing it
inappropriately, still means the organization is not respecting an
individual's privacy.

I agree with your concern regarding "a compromise in the sample or the
templates database" being a major issue with respect to an individual
having to re-establish and re-bind their identity. However, I would argue
that the same holds true for any piece of an individual's PII that is used
by an organization. Biometric data, because it is viewed as unique to an
individual, is in some organization's minds, viewed as a silver bullet with
respect to Identifcation. However, in my opinion, it is just another piece
of data that can be used to mitigate the risk of misidentification. If the
consequences of misidentification are severe it should still be
corroborated with other PII. In other words, it is not a silver bullet.

This being said, I restructured the answer to address the "silver bullet"
concept as well as the out-of-scope text. I would recommend including the
background in the response as I believe that it is important to raise the
"technology neutral" idea with respect to privacy policy/legislation. I
would like to start the process of changing the perception held by many
people that current policy is outdated or has been overtaken by advances in
technology. (My soapbox rant for the day)

Wile we probably aren't going to be killed for not answering all the
questions I hope that others can address some of them.

Ken

==============

The perception that something should happen to privacy because biometrics
enter the mix is erroneous.

Privacy is a state that is respected when an individual understands and
consents to how their personally identifiable information (PII) is
collected, maintained, used, disclosed and disposed. Biometric information,
given its uniqueness to each individual, should be considered to be PII.

Regardless of its apparent uniqueness, an organization that wishes to
mitigate the risk of misidentification of an individual should not look at
biometric data as a "silver bullet". If the consequences of
misidentification are high they should still corroborate the biometric data
with other PII during their authentication. The process, whether in the
digital or real world, still requires an organization to identify the
consequences of misidentification before it puts in place procedures and
techniques (such as the use of biometric data) to mitigate that risk.

Background on Privacy

It should be noted that jurisdictions around the world have identified that
respect of an individual's privacy is technology neutral.

For the US Government NIST Special Publication 800-122 defines PII as "any
information about an individual maintained by an agency, including (1) any
information that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual‘s
identity, such as name, social security number, date and place of birth,
mother‘s maiden name, or biometric records; and (2) any other information
that is linked or linkable to an individual, such as medical, educational,
financial, and employment information."

In other countries with privacy protection laws derived from the OECD
privacy principles, the term used is more often "personal information".
This term, in general, is broader than PII. For example, there are two
pieces of legislation that cover privacy at the federal level in Canada:
the Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic
Documents Act (PIPEDA). The Privacy Act relates to an individual’s right to
access and correct personal information the Government of Canada holds
about them or the Government’s collection, use and disclosure of their
personal information in the course of providing services (e.g., old age
pensions or employment insurance). PIPEDA sets out the ground rules for how
private-sector organizations collect, use or disclose personal information
in the course of commercial activities across Canada.

Both acts is essence define personal information to be any factual or
subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual.
This includes information in any form, such as:
* age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type;
* opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions;
and
* employee files, credit records, loan records, medical records, existence
of a dispute between a consumer and a merchant, intentions (for example, to
acquire goods or services, or change jobs).

Excluded is information concerning the name, title, business address or
telephone number of an employee of an organization.

Both acts identify how personal information should be collected,
maintained, used, disclosed and disposed. Of interest is the requirement to
identify a retention period for the personal information that is collected
about an individual and how that information is expunged from an
organization's records.

Also of interest is how the power and versatility of re-identification
algorithms have significantly increased the ability of identifying an
individual without the use of PII. As such, Big Data is becoming an issue
in privacy circles.

kendaggtbs at gmail.com