[KI-LC] FW: Media query from SC Magazine - deadline 2/26/2016 17:30:00

Ken Dagg kendaggtbs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:10:46 CST 2016

Colin,

I can't take on the whole task. However, I spent an hour and addressed one
of the questions: What happens to privacy when biometrics are thrown into
the mix?

Before anything is said, I know I went beyond the scope of the question in
my response by discussing privacy as a whole and broaching the topic of big
data and privacy. In my opinion, the answer to the question asked is in the
first two, maybe three, paragraphs.

Is this the sort of response you were looking for?

I welcome comments and suggestions from other LC members.

Thanks,
Ken

===============

The perception that something should happen to privacy because biometrics
enter the mix is erroneous.

Privacy is a state that is respected when an individual understands and
consents to how their personally identifiable information (PII) is
collected, maintained, used, disclosed and disposed. Biometric information,
given its uniqueness to each individual, should be considered to be PII.

It should be noted that jurisdictions around the world have identified that
respect of an individual's privacy is technology agnostic.

For the US Government NIST Special Publication 800-122 defines PII as "any
information about an individual maintained by an agency, including (1) any
information that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual‘s
identity, such as name, social security number, date and place of birth,
mother‘s maiden name, or biometric records; and (2) any other information
that is linked or linkable to an individual, such as medical, educational,
financial, and employment information."

In other countries with privacy protection laws derived from the OECD
privacy principles, the term used is more often "personal information".
This term, in general, is broader than PII. For example, there are two
pieces of legislation that cover privacy at the federal level in Canada:
the Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic
Documents Act (PIPEDA). The Privacy Act relates to an individual’s right to
access and correct personal information the Government of Canada holds
about them or the Government’s collection, use and disclosure of their
personal information in the course of providing services (e.g., old age
pensions or employment insurance). PIPEDA sets out the ground rules for how
private-sector organizations collect, use or disclose personal information
in the course of commercial activities across Canada.

Both acts is essence define personal information to be any factual or
subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual.
This includes information in any form, such as:
* age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type;
* opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions;
and
* employee files, credit records, loan records, medical records, existence
of a dispute between a consumer and a merchant, intentions (for example, to
acquire goods or services, or change jobs).

Excluded is information concerning the name, title, business address or
telephone number of an employee of an organization.

Both acts identify how personal information should be collected,
maintained, used, disclosed and disposed. Of interest is the requirement to
identify a retention period for the personal information that is collected
about an individual and how that information is expunged from an
organization's records.

Also of interest is how the power and versatility of re-identification
algorithms have significantly increased the ability of identifying an
individual without the use of PII. As such, Big Data is becoming an issue
in privacy circles.

--
Kenneth Dagg
Independent Consultant