[KI-LC] Fwd: Identity & KYC Summit US - Registration Open

Patrick Curry patrick.curry at clarionidentity.com
Thu Aug 11 14:12:43 CDT 2016

Andrew

I think it’s more than UK, OIX etc repeat performance.  The banks are having to change so it would be very interesting to hear what they have to say.  Perhaps KI could pool feedback afterwards - one of my colleagues will be there so I/we could contribute.

However, as usual in the banking sector (the last bastion of non-collaboration!), many banks are pursuing a point solution to meet internal needs.  Some wiser banks, stimulated by central banks, are taking a different route with a wider view.  Collaborative developments are starting to take place in UK amongst a few big dog companies in at least three sectors, including banking, that will provide consumers, SMEs, major companies and some government organisations with what they need to be able to do their trusted business in a re-usable way at high or very high assurance with their allies and partners operating at the same higher levels of assurance - and to do personal stuff too. Crucially, some major banks are saying that they do not want to be in the identity business.  They want to consume identities and related trusted attributes so that they can cut their huge compliance costs and also earn from the vast amounts of customer data that they hold but can’t yet leverage.   Zero Knowledge Proof solutions are of increasing interest to them - such as Sedicii - particularly where a large organisation is developing an Omnichannel capability to their individual customers, backed by customer data analytics.  This dramatically improves the customer experience and reduces costs and risks.

The UK national situation has become more complex and confused.    Brexit has compounded this further and no one really knows what is going to happen.  The new government continues to reorganise internally.
As far as is known, the UK is the only government in Europe or Asia with an identity programme (Verify) currently working at LoA2.  All others are at or moving to LoA 3 or 4.  Of these, the majority have legal requirements for face 2 face enrolment and hardware tokens.  A small but increasing number of nations are moving to three biometrics - face, finger and iris/retina/palm.  Voice, video, biometric signature, FR and behaviour are being considered by some for additional authentication.  Very High Assurance device authentication & mutual authentication are also being considered and with at least 6 new LoA4 trusted smartphones with TEE, TPM, TUI and TBI, now in the marketplace, it is a matter of months before the first governments approve LoA4 e-ID on such smartphones for all legislative requirements.
Within UK gov, taxation (HMRC) and benefits/pensions (DWP) departments have already publicly declared that the LoA2 (Verify) solution is “second rate” and they are developing an alternative at higher LoA.  Police, health and defence are either at LoA 3+ or considering their own plans.  There is no meaningful central focus in UK government with which industry can discuss national and international business needs.
Industry is facing a wave of new legislation that requires LoA 3+ either explicitly or implicitly because of the increased compliance risks and international supply chain operability requirements.  These include GDPR, AML4, PSD2, NIS Directive and eIDAS in the EU. New US, S Korean and Chinese requirements are additional. We expect more nations to do likewise.
Industry is also facing business requirements for additional trust functions, particularly to support more complex interactions with networks and privacy & delegation requirements.  Emerging counter fraud, anti-counterfeit parts, device authentication, trust chain management, trusted block chains and national surveillance/public safety requirements are additional.  The FBI Director’s latest statements are interestingly collaborative.
It is true that a number of block chain start ups are focusing on LoA2 for low value, consumer business, but the more mature players are looking closely at both the increasing regulatory requirements and new business requirements coming from leading banks.  Part of the reason for this is to meet tighter counter fraud and cyber security insurance control requirements and re-insurance requirements.  It’s all about the money!

As we discussed, the Future of Identity conference/workshop in Estonia 1-3 Sep (including hackathon), significantly supported by the Estonian government, is focused on leveraging e-Residency internationally, to lift the current 10k users to 10M in the next phase.  There are many reasons why this could be attractive to banks, telcos, other companies and business in general.  I will be there throughout and Colin will be there for Day 2 and 3.   If anyone else from KI wants to attend and have a 75% discount, they are welcome to contact me and I will send them a formal invitation.   See www.futureofidentity.org for further info.  This meeting will enter new territory!  Oh, and I have Sedicii, a privacy lawyer and law enforcement and a security expert on my panel on surveillance & privacy, which will be fun.

Let me know what you think!

best

Patrick

Patrick Curry