[KI-LC] Proposal for discussion: Tool chain for Connected Life specs

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Wed Jul 1 08:33:27 CDT 2015

I can foresee a very near future in which the UMA, CIS, and other Connected Life groups will need to produce new technical specs (such as new and updated specs, profiles, extensions, errata, and so on). So far, the UMA group has been using the “xml2rfc” XML DTD (http://xml2rfc.ietf.org/public/rfc/html/rfc2629.html) to very good effect. We chose it because we have been contributing our specs to IETF as Internet-Drafts, and will ultimately pursue Informational RFC status for UMA V1.0.

I’d like to suggest that Kantara put some effort into developing a small variant of the xml2rfc tool (http://xml2rfc.ietf.org) that emits HTML/CSS that has correct Kantara style and also correct Kantara IPR language, and also ideally hosting that variant tool (the way it is hosted at the link just prior) on ki.org for spec editor use so that it would be easy for WGs to generate HTML files on demand. We had to ask Oliver Maerz to do these edits by hand repeatedly during the Public Review/Draft Recommendation/Recommendation process for our two documents.

We might be able to leverage knowledge (and even code?) from the OpenID Foundation, which has some sort of tool chain for doing a very similar thing using a variant of xml2rfc and has a copyright statement that differs from IETF's.

Thoughts?

	Eve

Eve Maler | cell +1 425.345.6756 | Skype: xmlgrrl | Twitter: @xmlgrrl | Calendar: xmlgrrl at gmail.com