[KI-LC] Heads-up on an interesting question

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Wed Oct 2 15:07:22 CDT 2013

A company recently came upon UMA and expressed interest in potentially implementing it, switching from their self-created access control plumbing to UMA's open protocol. The company has some patents that may or may not have anything to do with UMA -- and therein lies an interesting challenge. The company is uncertain about joining the WG because of the IPR regime of the group, and I'm reluctant to encourage UMAnitarians to take a look at the company's IP out of an abundance of caution around becoming "tainted" with knowledge of IP that UMA might ultimately add in any future design work, potentially encumbering the spec.

I asked Joni about the appropriateness of seeking the advice of a Kantara legal expert, and she thought I should bring the question here, potentially escalating to the Board if we see fit. Can we discuss at the next opportunity? (Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that is in my case, since I'll shortly be on the road for nearly two weeks!)

Thanks, folks,