[KI-LC] [BoT] Round 2 FTC Kantara Input regarding Security and Privacy

Dagg, Kenneth Kenneth.Dagg at tbs-sct.gc.ca
Thu May 23 15:29:11 EDT 2013

Joni,

I reviewed the document and found some shortcomings. My personal concerns could be mitigated if there are other documents that describe the context of the Internet of Things (IoT). I have used COMMENTS to voice my personal concerns. My apologies, but given the short turnaround time, I regret not being able to recommend how the text could be changed but I just do not have the cycles.

It appears to me, with my minimal technical knowledge about the IoT, that the basic concepts of Access Control should apply to the IoT. If this is true, then I would suggest that a lot of the privacy and security implications have been identified. The prime difference, in my personal opinion, with traditional Access Control is the components, like they are in Trust Frameworks and Federations, are decoupled.

I also believe that a conceptual architecture of the IoT needs to be developed (if it already exists then I stand corrected). Without this type of understanding, it is my personal opinion that any standards / frameworks / infrastructures that are developed will be tend to be restrictive rather than accommodating. If my belief that Access Control applies then the architecture may essentially be done (could be based on the Attribute Based Access Control - NIST Special Publication 800-162).

The conceptual architecture would also include an architecture for "things" that identifies the type of information they contain, its functions (e.g., authentication), etc.

Ken

Kenneth Dagg
Senior Project Co-ordinator | Coordonnateur de projet supérieur
Security and Identity Management | Sécurité et gestion des identités
Chief Information Officer Branch | Direction du dirigeant principal de l'information
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat | Secrétariat du Conseil du Trésor du Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R5
Kenneth.Dagg at tbs-sct.gc.ca<mailto:Kenneth.Dagg at tbs-sct.gc.ca>
Telephone | Téléphone 613-957-7041 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-954-6642 / Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-957-9090