[KI-LC] New Discussion Group to be proposed - Object Identity (or) Identities of Things

Heather Flanagan heather at kantarainitiative.org
Thu May 16 13:54:09 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I've created a page under the LC Working Documents section that takes
the charter and puts it in to the standard DG Charter format.  I've
incorporated the edits suggested so far, and my hope is that we will
vote on the creation of this discussion group on the next LC call
(assuming we get to quorum.)

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/x/O4PQAw

-Heather

On 5/8/13 6:48 AM, Ingo.Friese at telekom.de wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> We intend to open up a new discussion group "Object Identity" (or)"
> Identities of Things"
>

> The current draft of the charter:
>

> Object IdM addresses the handling of identities of things (IDoT),
> goods and objects. The Internet of Things (IoT) is beginning to evolve
> and early solutions are now being implemented. In the context of IoT,
> some Object Identities are managed with proprietary solutions or niche
> standards that have not been mapped to each other nor interoperate. As
> a consequence, there is no overall framework how to manage identities
> across different solutions.
>
> The purpose of the Object IdM DG is to start the evolution of an
> overarching Identity Framework for the IoT.
>
> Specifically, the group seeks to produce informed Reports which would
> include recommendations to adopt, build upon and reuse, where
> possible, existing infrastructure.  The group will also seek to
> identify gaps in coverage where a requirements document may be needed.
> For example the possible reuse of core concepts from person Identity
> and Non Person Entities (NPEs) where it may apply to Identity of a Thing.
>
> The discussion group intends to deliver the following:
>
> .             Deliver "Landscape document" / State-of-the-art analysis
> of the current Object IdM approaches
>
> .             Describe the Object IdM problem with exemplary use-cases
>
> .             Submit article proposal to IEEE about identities in the
> internet of things
>
> .             Prepare the foundation for a working group to develop an
> Object IdM Framework for the IDoT, in support of IoT broader landscape
>

> I'm still looking for members to sign on. Until now we have Pete and
> Colin  So if you are interested in working with us please let me know.
>

> Best regards,
>

>                 Ingo

Heather Flanagan
Technical Program Coordinator