[KI-LC] 2013 Roadmap ideas topic on the LC agenda..

Andrew Hughes andrewhughes3000 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:47:00 EST 2013

Hi Colin ­ is this discussion partly about Kantara's role in the world?

We are (I think) a Trust Framework Provider; a platform for groups to
collaborate on internet identity work; a membership comprised of leaders,
experts and practitioners in the field.

Currently, operating and enhancement funds are generated from the Assurance
Program fees and Memberships.

Are we looking to establish additional KI Programs, each with their own
revenue streams?

My feeling, since going head-deep into Kantara over the last year, is that
KI fills a unique place in the internet identity world, and would do very
well if the end result of our work is a trustworthy and trusted marketplace
for identity-reliant services.

Perhaps this is the 'market maker' point of view. With no market
participants, our services are not required. With no underpinning trust
model, conformance, audit, etc there can be no real open market.

The idea is not that KI exerts any particular control over the market, but
rather makes the tools by which participants are able to trust each other
and negotiate real-world transaction contracts.

Maybe it's the idea of formalizing the common language rules ­ the 'grammar'
of identity trust, if you will.

If so, the KI role could be to create and sell documentation of the grammar,
tests to check valid use, teaching how to express using the grammar,
translation between 'FICAM grammar' and 'ISO29115 grammar', research into
new forms of expression, etc.

Is that the value that KI brings?

Andrew.

Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
+1 250.888.9474
1249 Palmer Road,
Victoria, BC V8P 2H8

AndrewHughes3000 at gmail.com

Identity Management | IT Governance | Information Security