[KI-LC] Brainstorm - Re: 2013 Roadmap ideas topic on the LC agenda..

Colin Wallis colin_wallis at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 12 02:05:10 EST 2013

Colin's.......... inline << >>..

Do you
- Agree with below?
- Volunteer to join the Membership Development Committee?

Thanks for responding to above and reading on below!

1 Create "Opportunities Wiki" in LC where members can log
opportunities for appropriate review and follow on (be that via members
of staff).

2 Create Membership Development Committee (envision sub-committee of BoT
 and open jointly to any LC and BoT member, others by invite)
     - (with staff support) create list of prospective members
     - identify selection of prospects each will contact

     - develop materials to support prospect out reach (letter, benefits sheet, updated FAQ)
     - sets schedule to reach to prospects
     - volunteers to directly contact prospects

<<CW: Yes>>

To get us started, below I have also included a cut a generic recruiting
 letter.  The idea is that I would send this to prospects first and then
 a Board or LC rep would volunteer to contact the prospect.  Noting that
 you as members actually have a stronger voice in communicating the v
value of Kantara versus I as a staff.

<<CW: Well, it may be form a part, but I hadn't envisaged the membership drive done like this. One of the things that attracted me to Pete's health sector plays and Patrick's higher LoA plays is that we draw *groups* of members - multiple memberships - to Kantara.  Take Pete's HIMSS idea for example. What I figured would happen, is Pete develops a strategy for the conference..an objective that X piece of work/project initiative is agreed to be pushed forward and Kantara is the place to do it. The proposal is put in some keynote, or workshop, or dinner speech, whatever. Maybe Joni is there to support Pete, but basically, Kantara steps up and says..'OK, you come to Kantara as a Health group (to join HIWG or a sub group to do this particular project..whatever). Kantara offers any organisation that joins the WG, *and* joins Kantara as a member *and* pays its dues strictly within 30 days, 25% off the their first years membership to signal Kanatar's investment and commitment to the project'.  I think there is a network effect/safety in numbers opportunity here, and we use the hype of the conference, together with a 'stage managed' focus on advancing some particular thing that resonates with the majority of organisations expected to attend, and we may make more progress. Sure, the one -to-one recruitment letter may form a part of that in a follow on for attendees that don't join, but I did not envisage it as the primary channel.
Cheers
Colin>>

This is a good thread and I'd like to be sure we advance it.  Here is a capture of 2 brainstorm ideas.

[...]

Dear (include contact name),

As Executive Director of Kantara Initiative, I would like to
thank you for your support of Kantara Initiative activities. We trust that you
are proud that your contributions have helped in great measure to improve and maintain
our programs and services – services that encourage community members to
standardize and collaborate for the advancement of Identity and Access
Management infrastructure.

I am asking that you (renew/enhance) your valuable support
this year through your thoughtful consideration to become a organizational
Member of the Kantara Initiative when our Trustee, (insert) contacts you within
the next several days.  At that time
(insert) will answer any questions you might have as well as review with you
the various benefits of membership and services we provide. As a result of your
membership funds you will enable Kantara to:

-
Further develop the market for identity
assurance

-
Create educational materials for Identity
Ecosystem actors to adopt trust models

-
Further develop the Kantara Trust Registry

-
Facilitate and Host Workshops

-
Support Infrastructure to continue to enable
work like Program Management and collaboration tools.

Since you already participate in Kantara Work and Discussion
Groups you are aware that the excellent quality and high standards of our
indicatives and support are inherently expensive.  This is why our Trustees and Leadership
Council have established a new Membership and Volunteer committee. We must continue
to maintain and preserve high level of service and we can meet our shared
objectives with your membership as essential to our shared success.

Therefore our Membership campaign is designed to reach an
established number of our special friends, who, we trust, will respond
generously as we are respectfully suggesting. Please welcome (insert) when they
call to ask for your (continued/new) membership.  We greatly appreciate your time and efforts!

Thank you very much!

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Palmer, Pete <Pete.Palmer at surescripts.com> wrote:

Thanks, Colin.  This is a good assessment of the current state of affairs and the opportunities/challenges that we have immediately in front of us.

How have other organizations, such as OASIS, prevailed over the long haul?

I’m also optimistic that that, if played correctly, the healthcare sector can be tapped for a lot of assessments and approvals, as well as a new crop of dues-paying
 membership.  We will be well represented at the HIMSS conference ( http://www.himssconference.org/ ) and can hopefully make a lot of progress there.

Is it in our interest to consider hosting a conference of our own?  Is that even allowed?

Thanks again everyone.

--
Pete Palmer, CISSP | Director, Information Security | Surescripts
O: 651.855.3034 | C: 612.598.4444
|pete.palmer at surescripts.com

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, may contain sensitive information, and are intended solely for
 the individual to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.