[KI-LC] Question regarding RE: The Kantara "why" and WG rechartering

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Wed Aug 21 08:00:07 CDT 2013

Thank you for the thoughts Ingo. Some comments in line.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:36 AM, <Ingo.Friese at telekom.de> wrote:

> Hello Heather,****
>
> ** **
>
> In general I agree with  this. ****
>
> But is in the Telco-Wg case something in charter that does not fit here?

I believe that the Telco-WG has great opportunity to fit.

> ****
>
> In the “why” statement  is room for “interpretation”. E.g. what means high
> value?

Others have also asked.  High-Value, in this case, is equal to high Trust,
Security, Assurance - ALSO - where organizations would adopt such work
because they will generate business cases etc.

****

> For example: In the Telcco case…authentication of a single Telco customer
> using a SIM-card is maybe not valuable, but since we have millions of
> customers it could be a multi-million dollar business?

This would be equivalent to high value yes. One idea we'd also like to see,
however, is how could Kantara potentially operate a program or activity to
verify that the Telco use case is being met.  Is there a way that we could
verify and provide a layer of trust for organizations who were to adopt the
Telco work?

Ideally we would also like to have the Telco perform a review of the
Identity Assurance Framework and identify where there are specific areas of
input for consideration for the telco landscape.  Perhaps the development
of a telco specific profile or profiles.  This would be ideal.

> ****
>
> Or do you mean, we should only deal with level 3 authentications and
> higher?

While level 1 is in scope, we're focusing more on 2-4.

> ****
>
> So I’m not sure how the charter should look like and what is the intention
> behind this activity.

I plan as time allows to join as many groups for one call to discuss.  I
would be happy to do so for Telco too.  The am is to help Kantara and all
of the groups more clearly understand and operate to the vision of the
organization.  We feel that all benefit from this type of focus.  So - I
believe Telco is well positioned with good opportunity to do so, and by
doing so we may be able to draw more attention and activity to this group.

I hope this helps?

Best,
Joni