[KI-LC] Next week's LC-Strategy call

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Sep 12 21:16:16 EDT 2012

About the consumer identity discussion for the next call:

My view is that the KI Consumer Identity WG should probably  be shut
down, since it has been inactive for the past year, and I don't envision
any activity in the future.  The original goal of the WG was to focus on
prevention of consumer identity theft, as a sort of continuation of the
Liberty Alliance Identity Theft Prevention SIG.  However, identity theft
/ fraud  is a hard nut to crack, and only part of the problem is
technical.  So it's not too surprising that the WG did not achieve
much.  A lot of the identity theft problem involves poor security
practices on the part of service providers, as well as usability, costs,
and adoption of strong authentication methods for consumers.  So it's
not clear that Kantara, with its focus on technical interoperability
certification and identity assurance accreditation, is the right forum
to address these problems.

If others think there are consumer-oriented topics that Kantara should
address, let's discuss on the next call.  If so, it might be preferable
to fold such activities into existing WGs or DGs.

That said, I do believe that there are capabilities that an identity
ecosystem should support that could help to reduce identity theft /
fraud.  I've written a position paper on the topic, and you can find it
here: http://bobpinheiro.com/docs/NSTIC_and_IDTheft.pdf     Note that
these are my own opinions and I'm NOT proposing that Kantara should
adopt them.  I'd be happy to receive comments on this paper from anyone,
to help me recognize where I might have gone astray.  However, if we
(especially in the US) are ever going to be able to do high assurance
online identity verification of consumers for certain types of high
value transactions, and move beyond reliance on weak authentication
methods such as passwords, cookies, and self-selected challenge
questions for consumers, I think that the NSTIC Steering Group is the
place to propose solutions.  So that's what I'm going to try to do.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG
908-654-1939