[KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP

Colin Wallis colin_wallis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:15:55 EDT 2012

+1 to all those responses (including rhetorical questions!) Heather!

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:12:42 -0700
From: heather at kantarainitiative.org
To: lc at kantarainitiative.org
Subject: Re: [KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP

    On 9/12/12 4:05 PM, Colin Wallis wrote:

        > I believe that the line at the end of section 3.7 should be
        changed from:

        > > "The following actions require a Majority of the LC
        voting membership"

        > > to:

        > > The following actions require a Majority of the voting
        membership

        > > i.e. "LC" should not be in this section.

        Hmm..do you think so?

        So would we go for an all member ballot to select the LC Chair,
        Vice, Sec etc from the WG Chairs?

        The LC voting membership would not decide who amongst them would
        lead?

    That would be tedious, wouldn't it.   No, I think the problem with
    that section is that it talks about LC stuff in a WG section.  It
    should say:

      The following actions require a Majority of the WG voting
      membership
    ·
          Election of Working Group
      Chair, Vice-Chair, and
      Secretary; and
    ·
          Acceptance of final Reports
      or Recommendations,
      prior to submission to the LC for all-Member ballot.

      As for

        > * Procedures for handling nominations to any leadership
        position are not

         >laid out in the OP. Are there any categories of
        Members/Participants that

         >are NOT allowed to be nominated in to a position? Should
        there be a minimum

        > nomination period? Can anyone submit a nomination? Need to
        clarify these

        > things.

        I think we take what has become routine practice..

        Call for nominations..minimum 1 week till close

        Any member/participant of KI in any membership category can be
        nominated/self nominate

    OK.

        > Colin S further raised the question as to whether Members
        who were not WG or

        > DG chairs could be elected to the LC.

        Again, use practice so far which I believe is..

        Any WG member who holds an officer position ..Chair, VC, Sec can
        be elected to the LC

    Just to be pedantic (which is what OP are all about)

    Can a DG member who holds an officer position be nominated to LC
    leadership? (Demonstrably, yes, because I was.)  If yes, then does
    that position automatically instil voting rights to the
    Chair/VC/Sec? (To which I understood the answer to be "no" while I
    was Secretary.)

        Cheers

        Colin W

          LC at kantarainitiative.org

          > Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:45:16 -0400

          > Subject: Re: [KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP

          > Hi Heather -

          > The suggested changes in the document look good to me,
          with one correction.

          > I believe that the line at the end of section 3.7 should
          be changed from:

          > "The following actions require a Majority of the LC
          voting membership"

          > to:

          > The following actions require a Majority of the voting
          membership

          > i.e. "LC" should not be in this section.

          > Cheers,

          > Colin

          > Colin Soutar, Ph.D.

          > email at colinsoutar.com

          > 416 358 1431

          Heather Flanagan

          > Sent: September-12-12 10:53 AM

          > To: LC at kantarainitiative.org

          > Subject: [KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP

          > Hi all -

          > A while back we had started talking about updating the
          By-Laws and Operating

          > Procedures for Kantara. Here is a first draft of a
          revised OP (By-Laws will

          > come out later this week). I have turned on Track Changes
          so you can

          > quickly see what has changed.

          > A couple of questions were never fully answered when we
          were initially

          > discussing this a few months back:

          > * Procedures for handling nominations to any leadership
          position are not

          > laid out in the OP. Are there any categories of
          Members/Participants that

          > are NOT allowed to be nominated in to a position? Should
          there be a minimum

          > nomination period? Can anyone submit a nomination? Need
          to clarify these

          > things.

          > Colin S further raised the question as to whether Members
          who were not WG or

          > DG chairs could be elected to the LC.

          > Thoughts?

          > -Heather