[KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP

Heather Flanagan heather at kantarainitiative.org
Wed Sep 12 19:12:42 EDT 2012

On 9/12/12 4:05 PM, Colin Wallis wrote:
> > I believe that the line at the end of section 3.7 should be changed
> from:
> > > "The following actions require a Majority of the LC voting membership"
> > > to:
> > > The following actions require a Majority of the voting membership
> > > i.e. "LC" should not be in this section.
>
> Hmm..do you think so?
> So would we go for an all member ballot to select the LC Chair, Vice,
> Sec etc from the WG Chairs?
> The LC voting membership would not decide who amongst them would lead?

That would be tedious, wouldn't it.   No, I think the problem with that
section is that it talks about LC stuff in a WG section.  It should say:

     The following actions require a Majority of the WG voting membership

·   Election of Working Group Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary; and

·   Acceptance of final Reports or Recommendations, prior to submission
to the LC for all-Member ballot.

> As for
>
> > * Procedures for handling nominations to any leadership position are not
>  >laid out in the OP. Are there any categories of Members/Participants
> that
>  >are NOT allowed to be nominated in to a position? Should there be a
> minimum
> > nomination period? Can anyone submit a nomination? Need to clarify these
> > things.
>
> I think we take what has become routine practice..
> Call for nominations..minimum 1 week till close
> Any member/participant of KI in any membership category can be
> nominated/self nominate
OK.

> > Colin S further raised the question as to whether Members who were
> not WG or
> > DG chairs could be elected to the LC.
>
> Again, use practice so far which I believe is..
> Any WG member who holds an officer position ..Chair, VC, Sec can be
> elected to the LC
Just to be pedantic (which is what OP are all about)
Can a DG member who holds an officer position be nominated to LC
leadership? (Demonstrably, yes, because I was.)  If yes, then does that
position automatically instil voting rights to the Chair/VC/Sec? (To
which I understood the answer to be "no" while I was Secretary.)

> Cheers
> Colin W
>
> > From: email at colinsoutar.com
> > To: heather at kantarainitiative.org; LC at kantarainitiative.org
> > Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:45:16 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [KI-LC] First draft of a revised OP
> >
> > Hi Heather -
> >
> > The suggested changes in the document look good to me, with one
> correction.
> >
> > I believe that the line at the end of section 3.7 should be changed
> from:
> >
> > "The following actions require a Majority of the LC voting membership"
> >
> > to:
> >
> > The following actions require a Majority of the voting membership
> >
> > i.e. "LC" should not be in this section.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > Colin Soutar, Ph.D.
> > email at colinsoutar.com