[KI-LC] e-vote: Open-Stand.org - modern paradigm for standards

Colin Soutar email at colinsoutar.com
Mon Sep 10 10:51:45 EDT 2012

Hi -

I realize that I am late in responding to this, but having just reviewed the
material, I thought I would pass out my comments on the Open-Stand
Principles (copied below) to consider as we go forward.

In Priciple 1) reference is made to respecting the "intellectual propert
rights of the others".   While this is a nice goal, it seems a bit
practically at odds with Principle 4) in regards to "Standards
specifications are made accessible to all for implementation and deployment"
and "Given market diversity, fair terms may vary from royalty-free to fair,
reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms (FRAND)".   ISO and ANSI, for
example, make standards specifications available to anyone, but for a fee,
and they do not forego any copyright or IP rights in doing so.   In
addition, I thought that the term for IP terms was usually RAND.   I'm not
qualified to comment on the use of Fair RAND, but it seems like one of those
terms that lawyers get all bent out of shape over, like "commercially best
efforts".

Cheers,

Colin

1. Cooperation

Respectful cooperation between standards organizations, whereby each
respects the autonomy, integrity, processes, and intellectual property rules
of the others.

2. Adherence to Principles

Adherence to the five fundamental principles of standards development:

.         Due process. Decisions are made with equity and fairness among
participants. No one party dominates or guides standards development.
Standards processes are transparent and opportunities exist to appeal
decisions. Processes for periodic standards review and updating are well
defined.

.         Broad consensus. Processes allow for all views to be considered
and addressed, such that agreement can be found across a range of interests.

.         Transparency. Standards organizations provide advance public
notice of proposed standards development activities, the scope of work to be
undertaken, and conditions for participation. Easily accessible records of
decisions and the materials used in reaching those decisions are provided.
Public comment periods are provided before final standards approval and
adoption.

.         Balance. Standards activities are not exclusively dominated by any
particular person, company or interest group.

.         Openness. Standards processes are open to all interested and
informed parties.

3. Collective Empowerment

Commitment by affirming standards organizations and their participants to
collective empowerment by striving for standards that:

.         are chosen and defined based on technical merit, as judged by the
contributed expertise of each participant;

.         provide global interoperability, scalability, stability, and
resiliency;

.         enable global competition;

.         serve as building blocks for further innovation; and

.         contribute to the creation of global communities, benefiting
humanity.

4. Availability

Standards specifications are made accessible to all for implementation and
deployment. Affirming standards organizations have defined procedures to
develop specifications that can be implemented under fair terms. Given
market diversity, fair terms may vary from royalty-free to fair, reasonable,
and non-discriminatory terms (FRAND).

5. Voluntary Adoption

Standards are voluntarily adopted and success is determined by the market.