[KI-LC] e-vote: Open-Stand.org - modern paradigm for standards

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Sun Sep 2 12:09:03 EDT 2012

Hi Patrick,

1. I made an error in response to Heather. This would be an LC
recommendation to BOT. ( not a membership poll )

2. There is no product for Open-Stand it's only a statement of princilpals.

3. One issue I see personally is the FRAND statement as KI handles not only
RAND, but also CC Share-Alike Attribution and Apache CLA (code license) as
well.

I hope that context makes the nature of the action clearer.

On Sunday, September 2, 2012, Patrick Curry wrote:

> Hi Joni,
>
> I am sorry I couldn't make the last LC meeting, where you may have covered
> this already.
>
> The Open-Stand.org Modern Paradigm for Standards Development seems
> interesting.  Please could you clarify what's in it for us and also for
> them.  How would we weave their product into our work and what would that
> mean?  Or is it more about having our work recognised by them and thus
> creating another channel to market?
>
> best wishes
>
> Patrick
>
> Patrick Curry
> Director****
> Clarion Identity Ltd
> M:   +44 786 024 9074
> T:   +44 1980 620606
> patrick.curry at clarionidentity.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'patrick.curry at clarionidentity.com');>****
>

> On 1 Sep 2012, at 18:30, Joni Brennan <joni at ieee-isto.org> wrote:
>
> Heather,
>
> Thanks very much for setting this up for LC review. It looks good. My
> input is that the context should be clear that this (like the NSTIC poll)
> is a poll and not a binding vote - and is intended as input to LC and BOT.
>
> Also it could be good to add a space for respondents to provide rationale
> for rejection. I'm sure LC and BOT would appreciate that insight.
>
> With that you have my input. Thanks!
>
> JB
>
> On Saturday, September 1, 2012, Heather Flanagan wrote:
>
>  Hi all -
>
> As discussed on this week's non-quorate LC call, we're conducting an
> e-ballot regarding whether the LC approves of public Kantara Initiative
> support for the Open-Stand.org Modern Paradigm for Standards Development.
>
> LC Action: Leadership Council, please AFFIRM or REJECT public Kantara
> Initiative support for the Open-Stand.org Modern Paradigm for Standards
> Development
>
> ___ AFFIRMED
>
> ___ REJECTED
>
> Please respond no later than close of business Thursday September 6, 2012.
>
> Thank you for your time!
>

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: [KI-LC] Open-Stand.org -
> modern paradigm for standards  Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:51:16 -0700  From:
> Joni Brennan <joni at ieee-isto.org>  To: trustees at kantarainitiative.org,
> LC at kantarainitiative.org
>
> Dear Trustees and LC,
>
> I bring your attention to open-stand.org which summarized as a statement
> of principles (http://open-stand.org/principles/) of a modern paradigm
> for standards development.
>
>    - *Due process.* Decisions are made with equity and fairness among
>    participants. No one party dominates or guides standards development.
>    Standards processes are transparent and opportunities exist to appeal
>    decisions. Processes for periodic standards review and updating are well
>    defined.
>    - *Broad consensus.* Processes allow for all views to be considered
> [...]

=Joni

Joni Brennan
Kantara Initiative | Executive Director
voice:+1 732-226-4223
email: joni @ ieee-isto.org

Slideshare - Building Trusted Identity Ecosystems - It takes a village!
http://www.slideshare.net/kantarainitiative/kantara-may-2012