[KI-LC] Subscribers - Operating Procedures Update - related to ByLaws

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Wed May 9 16:00:14 EDT 2012

see in line and thanks!

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Heather Flanagan
<hlflanagan at internet2.edu>wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have several questions about KI's ByLaws and Operating Procedures, and
> I'm afraid some of them might be appallingly ignorant questions.  But They
> do tie in to the question below regarding the new Subscriber class.
>
> There appears to be more than one level of membership class, at least
> that's my guess when looking at the Kantara Initiative Membership
> Information form (
> http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/download/attachments/2293776/Kantara+Initiative+Membership+Info+Form.pdf).
>  There is a CSP Subscriber, an AA Subscriber, plus a Trustee and a Member.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) Is the new Subscriber class something different than the CSP or AA
> Subscriber?

There may be for say technical interoperability only.  But we don't have
those tools yet so perhaps some verbage around this class being dedicated
at a particular type of user - typically providing a service, assessment or
an org seeking interoperability tools and testing support.

> 2) If so, should we be defining those classes in the By-Laws and Operating
> Agreement also (I am not seeing them there - maybe that's just me being
> blind)?

The by-laws really captured only the top top level concept.  I have to
check with Dervla if it's not in the Membership agreement yet.  Perhaps it
needs a special subscriber agreement which is not the member agreement.
But yes it must be captured in the Operating Procedures now and then filter
in to the other agreements and potentially back up to the by-laws.

> 3) on the Info form, it says that the two Subscriber classes are
> non-voting members.  If that's correct, I would think that should be made
> explicit in the by-laws, no?

Good point.  with LC review I can take that back to the board.  We're
looking for concepts.  One idea floated was that for profile and criteria
development stakeholders must be at least subscribers (== not non-funding
participants)

For the voting I believe it was envisioned that Subscribers would vote only
at the WG level and not in all-member votes.  So that concept must be
vetted and captured in the OPs.

Sorry so short but I have to hope on a meeting now (which unfortunately
conflicts with LC).

Let's catch up by phone.. maybe Friday if you are available.

thanks as always Heather!