[KI-LC] DRAFT for All-Member Memo wrt NSTIC

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Jul 25 08:40:52 EDT 2012

My proposed changes below:

On 7/24/2012 6:36 PM, Heather Flanagan wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> As discussed on the special session of the LC today, the LC is concerned
> that there is too much confusion around NSTIC for the membership to make
> an informed vote in an all-member ballot at this time.  However, since
> Kantara is a member-driven organization, getting the input from the
> membership is critical towards determining a path forward regarding KI's
> participation in NSTIC.  So, rather than send out a ballot this week as
> previously discussed, we will focus on a brief memo that states KI's
> current position regarding the BoT position on KI not seeking a Delegate
> role and discusses what options are available, and then sending out the
> all-member ballot next week after - we hope - more things come clear in
> the 30 July NSTIC call.
>
> Below is a first draft for an all-member memo.  Given the
> time-sensitivity, please respond with your comments, feedback, and
> wordsmithing no later than Thursday NOON.  A final draft will be pulled
> together by Thursday CoB with the goal of sending this out to the
> community on Friday.  What I have below is just a skeleton to get the
> discussion going - more work is definitely required.
>
> ------
>   To the Kantara Initiative Members -
>
> As many of you are aware, the U.S. NSTIC program is quickly moving ahead
> with the establishment of its Secretariat, Steering Group, and the
> initial By-Laws (seehttp://www.nist.gov/nstic).  Last week, the KI
> Board of Trustees met and decided that, in order to avoid any potential
> conflict of interest as a Trust Framework provider, KI would not seek a
> Delegate role in the NSTIC Steering Group.  There are, however, other
> ways that KI may choose to participate in the NSTIC effort.
>
> * Kantara may participate as an Observing Member, where input may be
> offered as an interested party but with no vote
> * Kantara may participate as a Participating Member, where input will be
> offered and KI will have a vote at the table
>
> Joni Brennan as Executive Director of the Kantara Initiative would be
> the representative for KI.Other KI members may participate either
> through KI or as an individual or as part of their own company,
> organization, or institution.  <-- THIS NEEDS WORK
Other individuals who participate in KI activities such as work groups
and discussion groups, and who wish to participate in NSTIC but who do
not wish to participate as individual NSTIC members or through their own
organizations, may choose to participate as KI "Member Associates",
provided they are listed in the KI NSTIC Membership Agreement.
> On July 30, the NSTIC Program Office will be holding another webinar in
> preparation for a face-to-face meeting hosted by the Secretariat on
> August 15-16 in Chicago.  After the July 30 call, the LC will send out
> an all-member ballot tocollect feedback on what, if any, direct role
determine what role, if any,
> KI
> should play in NSTIC.
Three choices will likely be presented: no participation, participate as
an Observing Member, or participate as a Participating Member.