[KI-LC] DRAFT email to KI Members wrt NSTIC

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Fri Jul 20 22:24:14 EDT 2012

The NSTIC bylaws seem to say that any organization or individual can
become a voting Member if that individual or organization signs the
Participating Member Agreement.  I don't see where there is any
restriction on such Members also being affiliated with other Member
organizations.  So there seems to be nothing to prevent a Kantara member
from also being an NSTIC Participating Member, should Kantara become an
NSTIC Member, provided that the Kantara member signs the NSTIC
Participating Membership Agreement.

Where things get dicey is whether an employee of a Kantara member who is
participating in NSTIC as a Kantara Member Associate can also
participate as a Member Associate of his/her own employer, if that
employer is also an NSTIC Member.  In other words, can an individual
participate in NSTIC as a Member Associate of more than one Member?  Not
sure.

There is the restriction that "A person representing or acting on behalf
of a Member Organization in any formal or informal capacity within the
Steering Group are considered part of that organization and cannot be
considered an Individual Member."  So if Kantara were to become an NSTIC
member and be represented in the Steering Group by Joni (as the official
Member Representative), then she could not also be an individual
Steering Group member.  But is an individual who is a Member Associate
of Kantara considered to be "acting on behalf of" Kantara?  If so, then
that individual cannot apparently also join NSTIC as an individual Member.

There would seem to be no reason why Kantara shouldn't at least become
an Observing Member, since Observing Members have no participation
requirements and cannot vote.  It would be strange if an organization as
deeply involved with identity as Kantara would not at least join as an
Observing Member.   It also seems highly unlikely that an Observing
Member would be voted into a leadership position.  So I think the proper
question to put to the Kantara membership is whether Kantara ought to
join as a Participating Member, or an Observing Member.   But maybe
before taking that vote, some thought should be given to whether Kantara
can commit to active participation in the Steering Group, since that's a
requirement for a Participating Member.  The bylaws seem to imply that
these "active participants" could be the individual Kantara
Participating Member Representative, or any other individuals listed as
Kantara Member Associates in the Membership Agreement.

Bob P.