[KI-LC] Dissolution of WG Guidance

Colin Wallis colin_wallis at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:37:09 EDT 2012

It seems to work for me...or am I missing something?Perhaps a bit circuituous, but it works, yes?CheersColin From: joni at ieee-isto.org
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:49:40 -0700
To: LC at kantarainitiative.org
Subject: [KI-LC] Dissolution of WG Guidance

LC,

I've reviewed the Operating Procedures and find no procedures with in a work group for the dissolution of a WG.  I do find 2 ways in which actions are defined.

1. Via a simple majority vote of the LC (OPs section 2.6), and

2. according to the process defined by the LC (http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/x/3oCdAg).

I suggest LC review item 2 because it actually defines what leads up to item 1.  For a Work Group to self-shut-down (decharter) they would need to hold a super-majority vote with in the WG and then notify the LC of the results of that vote.

For example: Consumer Identity WG has 6 voting members (http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/x/IQCX) so at least 5 people (4.5 is supermajority) must vote affirmative for the decharter action.

Should it be proven that this vote is attempted, has opportunity, but can not be achieved, it would seem apparent that this decision comes back to the authority of the LC OR the group continues but does not generate quarterly reports > kicking off the quarterly reports process as defined in item 2.  That bit of detail should close the questions about what happens when a group may seek to decharter.  Please advise if there are questions or concerns.

Thanks!
=Joni

Joni Brennan
Kantara Initiative | Executive Director
voice:+1 732-226-4223
email: joni @ ieee-isto.org

Slideshare - Building Trusted Identity Ecosystems - It takes a village!

http://www.slideshare.net/kantarainitiative/kantara-may-2012