[KI-LC] Kantara Initiative's Teleconference Service Provider

Rainer Hoerbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Sun Feb 26 19:57:39 EST 2012

> I can probably live with option 1 as well, but less sure about the rest of eGov.
>
> What is your view from the Group’s perspective Rainer?

I do not know, but we are discussing peanuts .. 2$ per hour.
- Toll-free numbers are a headache, because they are mainly useful when traveling, and cannot be used from mobile, payphones or hotels in many countries.
- Toll numbers are local numbers. US landline numbers can be called world-wide for approx . 2$/hour with Skype, or local numbers might anyway be included in a mobile flatrate.

BTW, I evaluated 4 conferencing products last December for a European project, and came up with following conclusions:
- All 4 products (WebEx, Gotomeeting, Netviewer/VoIP and POWWOWNOW/Netviewer) are reliable and useful.
- Out of 50 participants less than 5 could not use VoIP, either because of an enterprise IT policy, or incapability of activating Java in the browser or installing a smartphone app.
- The first 3 are WebConferencing solutions and as such more productive than a plain phone conferencing solution for groups > 10 or less experienced participants (remote mute is a kill feature!)
- I finally decided on WebEx, because it provides SAML WebSSO integration.
- Gotomeeting utilizes a broadband codec with very good voice quality when fast internet is available. WebEx seems to be limited to phone quality, which is not bad either. I personally had a problem with the WebEx iPhone app, but the iPad worked fine, GotoMeeting worked fine on both iPhone and iPad.
- I found out by accident that Facetime has an amazingly good quality when using it in hands-free to talk to a group of people in a room. However, that is no general solution for most groups.

Ciao Rainer