[KI-LC] Poll - Re: NSTIC Webinar debrief

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Thu Aug 2 20:02:33 EDT 2012

Thanks for the notes Colin S and W.  A clarification and some edits below...
=Joni

** **

> I think the ballot simply needs to ask.

CLARIFICATION: This is a Member Poll not an All Member Ballot.  Ballot
assumes that some decision comes directly from the Ballot. The purpose of
this poll is to gauge Member feedback and assumptions as well as to provide
an opportunity for All Members to directly interface in the Board and LC
level discussions.  The LC is managing this poll as the LC are the stewards
of the full Membership representation.

EDIT: If it's not included already the context above should be summarized
at the front of the poll - so people understand why they're being asked to
respond. What is the intent/context of the poll AND what happens next.
What happens next is that the LC and BoT will review a report of the
results as input to their on-going discussions regarding NSTIC SG.  Also,
the poll should be clear about the visibility of the responses.  Are the
results public? Will people's responses and the roll up report be publicly
visible.  I suggest in the spirit of transparency the answer is "yes". But
I am open to oppositional positions on this item.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Further to the previous email communication (*include reference*), do you
> think that Kantara should join the NSTIC Steering Group as a member
> organization?****
>
> Yes/No

EDIT: add "Undecided"
NOTE: I realize in a poll it's better to have questions which provide
actionable results... however in this case I suggest that "undecided" also
speaks fair volumes about the assumptions of the Membership.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> If Yes, do you think that Kantara should be a Participating member or an
> Observing member?****
>
> Participating/Observing.

EDIT: add "Undecided"
NOTE: same as above.

EDIT: add question: If you plan to formally participate in the NSTIC SG,
which organization will you seek to represent your stakeholder interests?
Kantara / Parent Organization (includes Independent) / Not Sure
NOTE: this gets to the crux of the question the Board wanted input on - do
the Members seek to engage via Kantara or will they seek to participate as
part of their Organizations / Independent.

EDIT: add open text box for further explicit comments for consideration.
NOTE: We're taking the time to facilitate a poll so let's also provide an
opportunity for 'free' comments.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Note that in the event that Kantara joins as either a Participating or an
> Observing member, the Executive Director, Joni Brennan, would serve as the
> Primary Organizational Representative.****
>
> **

With those clarifications, edits and note my comments are included. *

ACTION: Heather* (I realize you're very tied up with IETF RFC this week)
can you get in SurveyMonkey and work up a draft?  By when do you target a
draft would be ready to review?

Additionally, I am fully prepared to go in to the SG meeting WITHOUT
Kantara signing any membership agreement. The webinar made clear that no
agreements were mandatory for 6 months so we have time to continue
meaningful organization wide discussions and carefully consider next
actions as determined by the authority of the Board of Trustees with input
from the LC as the stewards of the full Membership.

Makes sense to all?

Thanks!