[KI-LC] Trust Framework Meta Model (TFMM) WG charter for LC review and approval

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Mar 29 10:28:12 EDT 2011

I'd like to make sure I understand the difference between a Trust
Framework and an Identity Assurance Framework.  My understanding is that
an Identity Assurance Framework is concerned strictly with providing
assurance about the identity of an individual (and perhaps other
entities as well), whereas a Trust Framework is concerned with providing
assurance of more generalized claims.  So in practical terms, the
Service Assessment Criteria for an IAF is strictly limited to identity
proofing of individuals (or other entities), whereas the corresponding
criteria for a TF is concerned with verification of other non-identifier
attributes that define a claim.  Other than that, they are basically the
same.

Is that correct?  Or are there other differences?

Bob P.