[KI-LC] PKI vs Non-PKI based trust models

Rainer Hörbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Mon Mar 14 08:08:41 EDT 2011

John, Patrick and I had a discussion about the pros and cons of federation models based on credentials versus assertions. The attached document is a preliminary result with conclusions like
PKI and non-PKI federation models need to be combined in most cases at higher LoA
To implement a federation an RFC 3647-style policy is insufficient; A more complete Trust Framework is needed
Whereas the Higher Education sector favors brokered trust, e-Government and Industry prefer the PKI approach. But it is not a question of one way or the other.

Request for feedback:
I wonder where this discussion should be homed. FIWG, BCTF and TFMM are related, and it is also an extrakantarian issue. Any interest to take over this discussion?

- Rainer