[KI-LC] NSTIC NOI - Way Forward (was) Re: Great Job, Joni!!!

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Thu Jun 16 10:10:19 EDT 2011

The NOI specifically seeks comments on the structure and functions of a
Steering Group, which is intended to be a "governance body to administer
the processes for policy and standards adoption for the Identity
Ecosystem Framework in accordance with the National Strategy for Trusted
Identities in Cyberspace."  The NOI also seeks comments on the initial
formation and structure of the Steering Group.

At the NSTIC workshop in DC, breakout groups were formed to begin
discussion of these topics.  I understood that the summaries of these
breakout groups will be made available on the NSTIC website at some
point for the benefit of those wanting to provide additional comments.

If some WGs/DGs feel strongly enough about this that they want to
provide their own comments directly to NSTIC, there's no reason why they
couldn't do that "on their own."   Otherwise, I think Kantara should
speak with one voice regarding the NOI.  If that turns out to be the
path forward, forming a DG to formulate these comments makes more sense
to me than asking individual WGs/DGs to come up with comments that will
be melded together in some way.

Prior for the formation of the DG, perhaps an email should be sent to
the community mailing list to help determine whether there is, in fact,
interest within the community for providing a Kantara response to the
NOI.  If there is interest, a second question is whether the Kantara
community and/or leadership believes that Kantara itself should have an
active role in the Steering Group, and what that role should be, or
whether Kantara regards itself more as an interested bystander.

Bob P.