[KI-LC] Proposed Volunteer Fellowship Award

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Sep 29 10:15:37 EDT 2010

  I'm not entirely convinced of the need for this award, as currently
envisioned.  If the award is intended to recognize someone who is truly
a volunteer in the sense that he/she is receiving no compensation for
participation (even from an employer), then why shouldn't the name of
the award convey that sentiment?  By eliminating the word "volunteer",
the implication is that the award is some sort of general recognition
for outstanding performance in Kantara activities, which strictly
wouldn't be true since the award excludes paid participants, or those
participating on behalf of their employers.

Second, if the intent is to provide recipients with something they can
put on their resumes, as a sort of official recognition of their
participation in Kantara, then why should it not be available to any
uncompensated participant who is making a contribution?  Yes, the
criteria for deciding whether someone is truly  "making a contribution"
is arbitrary.  Yet if someone is looking for a job or consulting work,
and hopes to leverage their Kantara participation as relevant work
experience, they shouldn't necessarily need to win any performance
awards for such recognition.  It ought to be sufficient that their
participation meets some minimal set of criteria for recognition.  For
instance, maybe the criteria could be (a) attendance in meetings or
conference calls, or (b) other written contributions to WG deliverables,
reports, or (c) acting as an officer of a WG, etc.  This seems less
subjective than asking LC members to vote on whether someone deserves
the award when LC members may not even know the person or their
contributions.

If, on the other hand, it is felt that there should be some way to
recognize truly outstanding performance in Kantara activities, why
should it matter whether or not the recipient is compensated?

Bob