[KI-LC] 'Standing' Liaison WG/DGs to allow for confidential review of 3rd party materials

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Wed Oct 27 06:06:18 EDT 2010

Hello LC,

In the Paris F2F meeting the Board of Trustees discussed the need to have a
clear mechanisim by which Kantara can liaise 'privately' with outside
organizations.  Private is used not to create a 'closed' environment in
Kantara but rather because there is a need to comply with the
confidentiality requirements of the liaising organizations.  The use case is
- Kantara is asked by org X to review draft X.  Draft X is private to org X
so Kantara must provide comment and feedback in compliance with org X's
confidentiality rules.

Today we take these discussions off list and treat them as ad-hoc.  However,
the Board of Trustees would support an LC action to create standing liaison
WGs or DGs which would would provide a clear place and mechanisim for KI
members to comment on review docs but also provide visibility (via front
wiki page only) to our liaison activities.  These groups could become
'active' when Kantara is asked to provide input and then become dormant when
there are no review requests.  Another advantage to having this special type
of liaison group is that we will have a place where the liaising activity
for orgX is archived.  Each private Liaising WG/DG would also have a private
list - again to comply with orgX's confidentiality rules.

I believe that the LC / KI have been seeking such a clear mechanism for a
while now - I'm hopeful that the LC can take this email as a proposal to
move forward with an eventual Operating Procedure update to define and
qualify this new type of group.  Comments and thoughts are welcomed!

Thank you,

Joni

--
Joni Brennan