[KI-LC] Electronic ballot: Approval of Bridging IMS and Identity Report

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Nov 16 01:27:36 EST 2010

On 11/14/2010 4:32 PM, Eve Maler wrote:
> LC voting members, please *submit your vote* on the following motion
> either to me directly or to the LC list as a whole. Approval of the
> motion requires a simple majority of those voting.
>
> *Motion:*
> Approve V1.1 of the Report "Bridging IMS and Internet Identity",
> submitted by the Telecommunications Identity Work Group on 21 Oct 2010.
>
> *Vote:*
>
> ___ YES
>
> ___ NO /(please include rationale to facilitate resolution)/
>
> _X__ ABSTAIN
Although proper procedures for submitting this report to the LC may have
been followed, and (I assume) the appropriate copyright statement is
included, I think this report is not quite ready to be released in its
present form.  I agree with Jeff's comments that the report could
benefit by additional copy editing.  Beyond that, I would suggest few
additional changes before the report is published:

The Abstract should contain a more concise statement of the report's
purpose.  The abstract indicates that no new technologies are needed for
interworking between "IMS" and the Internet.  Since IMS is later defined
as a framework to describe the implementation of telco services based on
the Internet Protocol, it's not clear (to me at least) what is meant by
interworking between IMS and the Internet.

The report assumes that the reader is familiar with telecommunications
concepts and terminology.  Is the report written mainly for telecom
professionals?  If not, perhaps more explanation of some of the
terminology and concepts would be helpful.  For example, telecom
acronyms such as SIP are used throughout the report, without fully
explaining what they mean (other than a simple definition of the acronym).

IMS seems to be associated with the "3rd Generation Partnership
Project."  Some explanation of this should be provided.  In North
America, telco services based on the Internet Protocol are usually
referred to as Voice Over IP (VoIP) or Internet Telephony.  Does IMS, or
IP Multimedia System, mean the same thing, only to a European and/or
Asian audience?  Is the report geared mainly to a European and/or Asian
audience?   The report should state who the intended audience is.