[KI-LC] Telecon Reminder - Wed November 10 at 17:00 UTC

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Nov 9 23:54:51 EST 2010

Several of the budget requests are for funds to write or update various
reports, recommendations, or specifications of interest to the
requesting WGs.  It's not clear in these proposals whether the WGs seek
to hire outside contractors to perform the work, or whether it is
intended that Kantara funds be allocated to specific WG participants.

As you may recall, considerable effort was expended earlier this year to
define an external funding process to provide a way for WGs to secure
funding when (a) Kantara cannot provide the funds, or (b) when funds are
being requested specifically to support individual WG participants.
This last point was needed because the Kantara policy (although not
specifically stated in the Operating Procedures or Bylaws) is that, in
general, the work necessary to generate WG deliverables is expected to
be done by volunteer participants.

Specifically, that policy seems to be as follows:

    * As a general rule, the LC will not recommend to the BoT funding
      for a project where the funds are expected to go to a Participant
      of the WG seeking the funding.

    * If the WG receives funding for a project, and is unable to find a
      non-Participant to perform the work, after going through
      documented reasonable efforts to do so, the LC can be petitioned
      to allow the WG to spend the allocated funding on a Participant to
      do the funded work.

    * If a Participant is allowed to receive the funding for the work,
      the Participant must recuse him/herself from any votes within the
      WG relating to the funded work.

For those budget requests where it may be desired to allocate funds to
participants, the rules apparently require that these WGs will later
need to petition the LC to be able to allocate the funds to certain
participants, after providing thorough documentation that no
non-participants are available.

At least one case arose in 2010 in which Kantara funds were later
allocated to a specific WG participant.  I think this suggests that, in
many cases, it may be difficult to find an "outsider" unfamiliar with
the WG's activities who could perform the task as well as a qualified
participant.

My purpose here is not to reopen the discussion that lead to the need
for an external funding policy, especially as it pertains to funding of
individual WG participants.  I only wish to suggest that the LC might
want to consider changing its position on this matter, in the following
way:

    * A WG seeking Kantara funds should state whether it believes any of
      the funds being requested may be needed to support the efforts of
      individual WG participants.   If that is the case, the funding
      request should not automatically be rejected, but should still be
      forwarded to the BoT subject to the same review that other
      proposals undergo.  As long as it is understood up front that some
      of the funds are to support specific WG participants, a WG should
      not need to get special permission later on from the LC to
      allocate those funds to specific participants.

Of course, WGs may always seek external funding if Kantara funds are not
forthcoming.

It seems reasonable to me that every WG desiring funds should be able to
seek Kantara funds, even if some of the funds are intended to support
individual participants.  It would then be up to the LC and/or BoT to
approve, modify, or deny the request based on the merits of the funding
proposal, available funds, etc.  External funding always remains a
possibility for any WG that cannot secure Kantara funds to meet its needs.

Bob