[KI-LC] AOB - Taking Notes During WG Meetings

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Mar 31 21:20:19 EDT 2010

I would certainly support something like this if KI could provide such
support, not only for meeting notes but for other administrative tasks
such as LC secretary.  However, I understand the issue is that KI
doesn't have the funds to hire more staff.  From what I can tell, the
annual revenue for Internet2 in 2009 was around $35.5M, whereas for
Kantara it is way, way less than that, somewhere around $1M.  So KI may
not be able to support "flywheels" at this point.  On the other hand,
individual WGs will soon be able to solicit funding from outside
Kantara, with the funds earmarked for the individual WG.  So if enough
WGs generate income in this way, they could perhaps pool some of their
funds to hire a flywheel of their very own.

In the meantime, if the ability to record WG calls exists within
Kantara, maybe each WG could be given the option of recording the calls,
with the stipulation that the recording would not be made public, and
would be deleted after meeting notes are made.  Each WG may want to
decide individually whether that approach makes sense, or whether it
would prefer that a "volunteer" take meeting minutes each time.  I've
composed meeting notes in the past on the basis of a recording, and I've
found that you often hear things on the recording that you may have
missed during the actual call, or that you somehow overlooked.  And you
can always fast-forward through the not-so-interesting parts.

Bob P.