[KI-LC] AOB - Taking Notes During WG Meetings

RL 'Bob' Morgan rlmorgan at washington.edu
Wed Mar 31 15:18:17 EDT 2010

As folks may know I have been involved with the Internet2 Middleware
Initiative (now morphing into an enlarged InCommon Federation activity)
for 10 years or so.  Perhaps the most important thing the I2MI has done
over those years to promote successful working groups is to supply them
with so-called "flywheels".  These are Internet2/InCommon staff whose job
it is to provide WGs with administrative support:  call reminders, nagging
chairs about agendas, taking notes on calls, sending out notes and AIs,
setting up PINs for calls, etc.  Believe me, it is a tremendous relief
when a call is starting not to have to beg a bunch of busy technologists
to take notes, and to know that the notes produced will be professional,
in a relatively standard format, and timely.  In those cases where the
flywheel can't make it to a call it is recorded, and the flywheel makes
the time to listen to the recording and notate it just as if they had been
on the call.  There can be a startup burden on the flywheels, who are not
technical professionals, in dealing with concepts and acronyms and such.
It helps to have a good working relationship with the WG chairs to get
through this, and it doesn't take that long.

I think Internet2 has found that a flywheel can cover 6 or so WGs well
while attending to "other duties as required".  I strongly recommend that
KI consider allocating some resources in this direction.  I'd be happy to
put people together for discussion if you'd like more details on how this
works at Internet2.

  - RL "Bob"