[KI-LC] Kantara Support For A National Identity Verification Standard??

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Mon Jun 21 23:54:20 EDT 2010

Colin,

If I'm not mistaken, OMB0404 only addresses the four assurance levels;
it's NIST 800-63 that specifies criteria for identity proofing at the
various assurance levels.  But that document was strictly intended only
for US government relying parties.  There has been discussion in IAWG
about how to do identity proofing when different jurisdictions are
involved, so I guess there really is no standard.

I understand that the goal is to develop an ANSI standard for identity
verification, but there may also be much international interest as
well.  Whether that would translate into a further effort to develop
some sort of international standard, I can't say.

An organization can be a Sponsor at a cost of $25K per year (with no
obligation to actually participate in the development of any standard),
or can be a participating member expected to contribute to the work
effort.  For that level of commitment, I don't know if NASPO would
consider KI to be a non-profit at $1000 per year, or a trade association
at $3000 per year.

One of the motivations for this effort is the US government's (newly
renamed) National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace.  It's
hard to see how you can have a "trusted identity" online without some
standardized way to verify someone's identity in the first place.  On
the other hand, I can see where someone's "identity" may mean different
things to different types of relying parties, which may also imply
different trust frameworks for different "trust communities."

Bob