[KI-LC] Call for Votes: Concordia DG Interim Report - Deployment Guide for Proxying Assurance between OpenID and SAML

Paul Madsen paulmadsen at rogers.com
Thu Jun 3 11:26:01 EDT 2010

Hi Bob, thanks for your thoughts,

The original thinking for this use case was, as you say, that the SAML
IdP would choose to focus on those higher LOA authentications for which
it could charge more (or at all) - and outsource the lower LOA authns to
an OP.

While it would seem easy for an IdP capable of high LOA to also support
lower LOA (throwing it in for free perhaps), doing so wouldnt be without
cost (e.g. password resets, etc) additional to the costs of supporting
the higher LOA.

To a degree, the SAML IdP in this case is making the same analysis as do
some SPs, ie keeping higher LOA authentications to itself while using
OpenID for lower. The difference here is that the original
authentication request comes from an external SP.

There is very definitely an implicit assumption in the use case that
SAML is more appropriate than OpenID for higher LOA use cases. But this
is validated by ICAM is it not?

thanks again

paul