[KI-LC] Action Item 6b - United Identities (UI) paper - are we interested? - LC call 4th August

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:16:33 EDT 2010

Colin,

I am pleased to see that the concept of an independent, high-assurance IdP
is gathering support.  They have a long row to hoe before I would be willing
to commit support to this particular effort.

The sticking points for me are the following:

   1. What assurance level(s) is UI intending to support?
   2. What breeder documents would be used to create a high-assurance
   identity?  How universal would be the acceptance of a high-assurance
   identity based on these documents?
   3. What processes would be implemented to keep UI from being undermined
   by fraudsters seeking to leverage UI to create counterfeit identities?
   4. What data on the individuals used to grant/maintain a UI
   high-assurance ID would be retained by UI and how would it be protected?.
   5. How will UI address the overlapping and conflicting regulatory
   constraints imposed by the various jurisdictions across which UI's
   identities are likely to be used?

These concerns are the common issues for any IdP, but they become more
critical because of UI's intent of providing a high-assurance ID.  Until
these issues are addressed, my confidence in UI's ability to succeed is
limited.

Thank you.

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Colin Wallis <Colin.Wallis at dia.govt.nz>wrote:

>  Greetings all
>

> Armed with the Minutes of the last meeting, I am now working through some
> actions.
>

> Many of you are aware of this work to a greater or lesser extent, and
> you'll see some familiar names:-)
>

> Kantara is mentioned specifically.
>

> So this email is to ask you to review the proposal outlined in this paper,
> and respond to the list with your view on whether Kantara is interested to
> take this forward (should UI approach Kantara of course).
>

> Thanks in advance for your input.
>

> Cheers
>
> Colin
>

>  ====
> CAUTION:  This email message and any attachments contain information that
> may be confidential and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this message or
> attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message
> in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message
> and attachments. Thank you.
> ====

Jeff Stollman
stollman.j at gmail.com