[KI-LC] Telecon Reminder - Wed, Sept 23 at 15:00 UTC

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Sep 23 06:53:00 PDT 2009

 From the viewpoint of the Consumer Identity WG, I would like to see
this work also explore what kinds of incentives would be necessary in
order for consumers to adopt stronger security measures (ie, stronger
authentication) for access to online financial accounts and other
high-value online services, as well as for making online payments using
credit card numbers and other payment services.

As an example, how might consumers react to policy changes by online
service providers designed to stimulate greater usage of more secure
login procedures?  Many financial service providers and payment services
require only weak authentication (eg, passwords / challenge questions)
for making online payments or accessing financial accounts.  Use of
credit card numbers for making online payments requires only knowledge
of the cc number, security code, and expiration date.  What if these
service providers said something to consumers like: "Look, you can
continue to access your financial or payment account using only a
password or challenge questions if you wish.  But be advised that if
your information is compromised and unauthorized persons access your
account, we may not be able to cover any losses you incur.  In order to
be fully protected, you must adopt one of these more secure methods for
accessing your account."

These other methods may involve OpenID or Information Cards coupled with
two factor authentication, or other more secure login procedures than
are currently in use.

Insight into these issues would likely also benefit the ULX WG as well.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG
908-654-1939