[KI-LC] WG reclassifications of participants as non-voting

Eve Maler eve at xmlgrrl.com
Tue Sep 8 09:38:16 PDT 2009

Hello WG chairs,

In the UMA WG, I've just gone through the first instance of an
exercise that a lot of us (and our designated secretaries) will be
going through: reclassifying voting participants as non-voting due to
lack of attendance.  Maybe we can get a rhythm going to handle this in
the same way for all WGs.

My plan is to do this every Tuesday along with constructing my meeting
agenda, two days before the Thursday UMA calls, to give the KI staff
time to revise the UMA roster page.  Below you can see the boilerplate
message I've developed; please let me know if you see improvements
that can be made, or if I've gotten any procedural details wrong.

This time I had to do 13 reclassifications!  (The UMA group has held
five meetings; I could have done this sooner, but was still feeling my
way around the rules...)  Hopefully I'll have this under better
control in future.

FWIW,

	Eve

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Eve Maler <eve at xmlgrrl.com>
> Date: 8 September 2009 9:30:34 AM PDT
> To: @@PARTICIPANTEMAIL
> Cc: staff at kantarainitiative.org
> Subject: UMA WG reclassification as non-voting participant
>
> Dear @@NAME:
>
> According to Section 3.7 of the Kantara operating procedures (http://is.gd/32ilF
> ):
>
> "For the purpose of maintaining a reasonable ability to achieve
> Quorum, any Participant in a WG who fails to attend two consecutive
> meetings of the WG may, at the discretion of the Chair, be re-
> classified as a non-voting member. Voting member status may be
> reacquired by attending a meeting of the WG. In the case of an
> electronic vote of the WG, if the electronic vote occurs while a
> Participant is in non-voting status, the Participant may not vote in
> that electronic vote."
>
> As Chair of the UMA Work Group, I am classifying you as a non-voting
> member because you have not attended the last two meetings (@@DATE1
> and @@DATE2).  You can reinstate your voting privileges at any time
> simply by attending a meeting, and can vote on any motion in that
> meeting or in any electronic ballot started after that meeting.
> (You may be reclassified as non-voting again in the future if you
> stop attending.)
>
> Whether as a voting participant or as a non-voting participant, you
> retain mailing list posting privileges, and your continued input on
> UMA work is welcomed.  Your current voting status will be recorded
> on the UMA WG roster (http://is.gd/32iVw); changes may take up to
> two business days to be reflected.
>
> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Best regards,
>
> 	Eve
> 	UMA WG chair
> 	http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Home