[KI-LC] assessing WG & DG activity in the context of Kantara Initiative goals

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Sep 8 07:09:51 PDT 2009

see inline comments

Brett McDowell wrote:
> In prep for the first physical meeting of Kantara Initiative, I'd like
> to ask all the chairs to review the KI goals below and let me know
> what your WG or DG is doing or planning to do to support any of these
> goals in concrete terms.  I'm not suggesting we should have a ton of
> work done already being we just formed, but I do want to know what is
> on your horizon/roadmap that will be a concrete proposal to any of
> these stated goals.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Goals:
> * Accelerate marketplace adoption through clear messages, defined
> processes, and open community collaboration that brings vendors,
> deployers, individuals, and organizations together

As a point of reference, the goal of the Consumer Identity WG is to
"foster the development of a consumer-friendly, privacy-protecting, high
assurance 'identity layer' for the internet that enables consumers to
fully exploit the potential of the internet without fear of identity
theft."   As a first step towards this goal, we have proposed a number
of use cases that capture the kinds of  functionality that may be needed
to allow consumers to have better control over the use of their online
identities.  However, while we will certainly strive to provide clear
messages and defined processes in our WG's output,  and will take
advantage of open community collaboration by encouraging involvement and
contributions by WG participants, the reality is that it will take more
than that to accelerate marketplace adoption of high assurance identity
services to prevent consumer identity fraud.  The WG may be able to
articulate potential solutions to the problem, but deployment of
solutions in the marketplace will likely require changes to business
practices by those providing identity-dependent services, and by those
collecting various types of information about consumers.  And because
greater consumer protections don't necessarily come about of their own
accord, there may also be a need for stronger policy directives from the
government.  We therefore hope to be able to work with others inside or
outside the Kantara community who may be influential in helping to shape
these business practices, as well as those plugged into public policy
issues.

> * Bring together technical, business, legal, and policy experience to
> achieve holistic & trusted identity management solutions

The Consumer Identity WG currently has 22 members, as well as 36 mailing
list subscribers.  However, it would be desirable to bring in even more
participants, especially those knowledgeable about deployment of
consumer identification and authentication technologies, as well as
policy and usability experts who can provide insights into factors that
impact consumer adoption of better security measures.  As such, we will
seek to establish relationships with such persons, perhaps via a
specific outreach effort to connect with individuals that the WG feels
may be able to provide specific guidance on various topics of interest.

> * Establish an open and democratic governance model with no financial
> barrier to participation
>
> * Implement an operational structure with nimble processes,
> procedures, and oversight, and a viable financial model

Regarding an operational structure for the WG, we have held two
successful teleconferences, have attempted to hold a third but canceled
it when only one other person showed up, and have not had any interest
in the proposed fourth telecon.  This may be due to end-of-summer
holidays or vacations, too many pressures in people's day jobs, or
perhaps just a lack of interest in the proposed agenda.  In any case, we
clearly need to establish an effective way for the WG participants to
actively contribute.   Many people favor regular conference calls, but I
don't necessarily subscribe to that approach if participation is
consistently low.  Conducting most interactions via email is an option,
but again the challenge is to engage participants to the fullest extent
possible.    Devising an effective operational structure is something
that we are still working on.
> * Commit to open standards and encourage interoperable implementations
> from both the COTS product and open source development communities

We are not developing standards but support the use of open standards
and interoperable implementations.  That said, it is important to note
that various businesses that currently provide consumer solutions to the
identity theft problem, or other identity services to consumers, may
depend on having some sort of "special sauce" as part of their offering,
to distinguish themselves from the competition.  Interoperable
implementations and open standards need to be compatible with the
ability of identity providers to be able to provide a perceived
competitive advantage.
> * Foster positive dialogue across all relevant organizations to assure
> coordination, harmonization, and re-use of all applicable open content
> (specs, policy, etc.)

It has been previously recognized that it is not always possible to have
clear demarcations between the interests of the various WGs, and that
collaboration between WGs may be desirable.   At this point, it seems
that the best way to foster such collaboration is for individuals who
are participants in multiple WGs to simply contribute to these different
WGs as appropriate.  We will support whatever policy directive  Kantara
develops on cross-WG collaboration.
> * Establish programs with strong branding for technical and
> operational output to promote interoperability, compliance and/or
> conformance
>
> P.S.
> These goals are online here:
> http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/GI/Mission